Bordflak in the Middle East

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
addenbrool

Bordflak in the Middle East

Post by addenbrool »

I have been trying to research a POW named Corssen (Corben).
It has come to light that although he was a member of the Kriegsmarine, he was never a member of the U-Boot-Waffe, he belonged to the shipsartillerie-Bordflak.
Sorry if I have wasted any of your time, but the information we had been given previously wasall we had to go on, but we recieved a letter today confirming he was never on the U-Boats.
Does anybody have any information on Bordflak units in the Mediteranean?
Once again apologies to anybody who's time I have wasted
regards
izi
Last edited by addenbrool on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izi
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Hello izi

I've been out of the loop lately. A routine appendix removal resulted in some complications and I was in the hospital for over two weeks. I'm back home now and all is well and getting better.

You haven't wasted anyones time. In many cases it is just as important to rule out possiblilities to get to the answer you're looking for. Never be afraid to ask questions, that's why this forum exists, we're here to try and help each other.

It's good to see that you have recieved more information. Unfortunately Kriegsmarine artillery units is not one of my strong points. I did a quick search though and found here on Feldgrau a list of possible formations:
http://www.feldgrau.com/kmsbflkabt.html

Those units that were in the Mediterranean:

Marine-Bordflak-Abteilung Süd, operated in Italy under Italian command
20. Marine-Bordflak-Abteilung, stationed in Genoa
22. Marine-Bordflak-Abteilung, stationed in Neapel

Marine-Bordflak-Abteilung Piräus, operated in Greece
31. Marine-Bordflak-Abteilung Piräus

There is also a chance that he belonged to a unit operating in the Black Sea, see that same list for details.

Good hunting!