marine coastal artillery

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
MadDog
Associate

marine coastal artillery

Post by MadDog »

In the process of researching the German units participating in Anvil-Dragoon (southern France, August 1944), I see a number of Marine coastal artillery battalions (MAA 611, 682, 627).

Some of the batteries are obviously fixed positions. However, most of the batteries appear to have used captured artillery pieces.

My questions are:

1) Were all marine coastal artillery units non-mobile, using guns cemented in place ?
2) if mobile, did the crews have training to be used as ground artillery ?

thanks,

Tom
poucet

Post by poucet »

hi, by you'r asked question, it's a little hard to answer, because you done just MAA 611,627 and 682!

but:

-Corbiere 2./MAA 611 (Ma17) 3 x 7,5 cm M08 (f)
-Cap Croisette 6./MAA611 (Ma 184) 4 x 13,8 cm Mle1910 (f)
-Port de Niolon 1./MAA 611 4 x 12 cm Mle1878 (f)
-Mauvanne 3./Maa 627 4x15 cm TbK C/36
-Le petite Gueirouard 2./MAA 682 (Stp To 040) 3 x 16,4 cm M 93/93

so we you can read, it exist many units , so would you know over a specifical unit information or complete list?

because here i have you just done artillerie units, i don't have done other information, this should done a heavy list!!!
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

All most all coastal batteries that I know of where "mobile" to some extent. Some of them were on rails usually that connected them to alternate firing positions. Some may have been useful as rail guns. So perhaps a little refinement in your question is in order. By mobile do you mean.
1) stil have wheels for transport via horse or prime move cross country
2) on rail wheels connected (or perhpas easily connected to) the rail net.
3) riggable for the above within x days (you define the x)
4) something else
5) more than one of the above.
MadDog
Associate

Poucet: MAA611

Post by MadDog »

Poucet, thank you for the information on MAA 611. I had yet to find any information on that unit. I recently found the French Sudwall website and I plan to start asking some questions there (although my French is very bad).

For the moment, let us examine MAA 611, 682 and 627, which I had identified as being present near the Anvil-Dragoon landings. If you know of other units present in the area, please let me know.

From my reading the Sudwall forum, some batteries are obviously immobile heavy naval batteries, like the Cap Cepet 340 mm battery. Some batteries are listed as being in armored cupolas, so those guns arent going anywhere ! : )

However, many of the batteries used French captured guns in the 75-155 mm range. I found a few notes on some of the guns, and for now, I am assuming that the 75mm, 100mm, and 120 mm pieces were horse-drawn batteries that were not permanently emplaced. I assume the 138mm, 155mm guns were permanently mounted. However, this is mostly guesswork (I dont have a good source for information on French artillery pieces).

My goal is this: I am trying to determine which batteries were mobile, in the sense that they could run away from the advancing allied forces on thier own power (asssigned or requisitioned horse or motor transport), and which were stuck in place. This question also applies to the 819 Marine Flak battalion.

Ultimately, I am trying to assemble the complete order of battle for the 19th army on August 15, 1944. I have most of the major units, but the odd regimental and battalion level units are difficult to determine.

I am also looking for info on the Army 1291st coastal artillery regiment, which I can find no mention of where they were located.

Bonus points for those who can tell me if and where any German railroad artillery untis were located ! (Eisenbahn 692, 698 or 749 ??)

thanks,

Tom
MadDog
Associate

French artillery

Post by MadDog »

Is there a good website that describes French artillery ? If I can determine which guns were horse drawn, and which were designed a naval pieces, that ought to help.

Even if Kreigsmarine units were able to leave coastal areas with thier guns, did they have the training to act as ground artillery ?

thanks,

Tom
Carl Schwamberger
Contributor

Post by Carl Schwamberger »

You might also ask here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=70

that discussion board hosts several experts & fans of the coastal defenses.

And by the way are you the madog I've known for many years, or another?
MadDog
Associate

artillery

Post by MadDog »

Yep, its me, Carl. I cant escape my nick-name.

In absence of other data, I have to rummage through my squad leader books to find any info on some artillery pieces.

Tom
Carl Schwamberger
Contributor

Post by Carl Schwamberger »

Ah, the mild mannered middle aged chemist bears the burden of youths madness.

I've Hoggs book on German artillery of WWI, which can answer some questions. And, what brings this one?
MadDog
Associate

19th army

Post by MadDog »

I am trying to get a complete OOB on the 19th army for (yet another) game design, using SRB.

Tom