Prinz Eugen

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Prinz Eugen

Post by Rolf Steiner »

rather enjoyable afternoon on HMS Belfast this afternoon, which incredibly I'd never visited before... anyhow it said something in one of the display things about the Prinz Eugen surviving the war but then being used as a 'target' in a nuclear bomb test???
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yes, one of the Bikini Atoll test I think. It and a number of other hulks. You can see them all anchored in position as the blast goes off in some of the old footage. It was to test the effect of blast and shock/tidal wave at sea on surface vessels, same as they built all those dinky houses you see being blown down in the Nevada land tests. As far as I remember, even this didnt sink her, she ended up turned turtle but still afloat?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Actually, she took two blasts and was still afloat.

The first one, test Able of "Operation Crossroads", did only light damage to the side facing the blast. The second blast, test Baker, managed to inflict some damage below the waterline.

After these tests she was towed away and left to rest. She developed a list but it still took her six days to sink.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

Here's an interesting article which goes into detail about the "Prinz Eugen" and the damage the ship recieved during "Operation Crossroads".
The photo of the "Prinz Eugen" at Bikini Lagoon is from the same website...

http://www.warship.org/no31990.htm

The "Prinz Eugen" in position on 14 June 1946
http://www.warship.org

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

thanks gents, interesting stuff - hmm I trust that propeller monument isn't gently glowing in the dark as we speak! Bit of a sorry fate, but I guess (minus the nuclear bit), that's the way it often goes... great ships don't 'keep' as a rule.

on a related note, the fate of the Scharnhorst was rather sobering reading - not a high survival rate! Wonder if any of those guys are still about??
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Rolf, I'd say there could be a good chance, for I know there were at least three of the Bismark's few rescued crew still alive as of six months ago.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

I have heard the Eugen is a good dive if you can get to Kwaj.
Tiornu
Contributor

Post by Tiornu »

What I would really like to know about the Scharnhorst survivors is which one supplied the damage details printed in the G&D book. There's very specific information about the path of the 14in shell into the boiler room.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

There's a famous photo of the mushroom cloud where you can see Prinz Eugen vertical on one side of the "stem" (right side, as I recall).
macbue

Post by macbue »

She survived both the nuke tests, and then she got sunk at the Kwajalein atoll. Because of the amount of readioactivity, she had, it was impossible to put her back into use again.

I noticed that you actually can see her on Google Earth. The coordinates are: 8°45′9.85″N, 167°40′59.16″E
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello macbue!

A really interesting view on Google Earth using you coordinates! :D Are you sure it's the "Prinz Eugen"? It sure looks hull shaped to me anyhow... Thanks for sharing this glimpse from "above". :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
macbue

Post by macbue »

USS Prinz Eugen (she got renamed after the defeat of Germany) was sunk at the Kwajalein atoll. The size is about 200 meters or 650 feet at google earth. The size of the Prinz Eugen was 212 meters or about 700 feet. And since the Prinz Eugen don't rest on a flat bottom, the lengt of the ship is longer than it seems from a satellite photo.
The width of the ship is about 22 meters, the width of Prinz Eugen was 21,8 meters
Former student of Doktor Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again macbue!
The size is about 200 meters or 650 feet at google earth. The size of the Prinz Eugen was 212 meters or about 700 feet. And since the Prinz Eugen don't rest on a flat bottom, the lengt of the ship is longer than it seems from a satellite photo.
The width of the ship is about 22 meters, the width of Prinz Eugen was 21,8 meters
Well, if the Google Earth programme gives the above stated measures, then it's seems to be a pretty accurate assumption that the sunken ship actually is the "Prinz Eugen". Good measuring and conclusions my dear student! :D

Keep up the good work! :up:

Mr. Krollspell :[]
NASAAN101

Re: Prinz Eugen

Post by NASAAN101 »

you all going to hate me, she and Bismarck were and as far as i go still are Brother/sister.
NIKKI
The mighty beast is wounded, a Swordfish torpedoed the steering gear, with rudder's jammed..is his Achilles Heel with... K.G.5 and Rodney closing in for the kill". From "You Must Sink The Bismarck" on youtube..