Wilhelm Gustloff

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Peter.o

Wilhelm Gustloff

Post by Peter.o »

We are some divers from Sweden that’s planning to dive the wreck off Wilhelm Gustloff next summer.
Or is diving on that wreck forbidden?
If it’s forbidden is possible to get a permission to dive the wreck?
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Peter Oleander
Sweden
testing

Post by testing »

I believe that diving on the wreck is indeed prohibited as it is marked as an offical gravesite. I know that dives on it have taken place, but I believe they were organized through offical channels first. This all may have changed recently but I am fairly certain it is still the case.

You can find a recent drawing of the condition of the wreck from an offical dive in the article on the Gustloff on the Feldgrau main page.

http://feldgrau.com/wilhelmgustloff.html

If you do go ahead and make the dive I know that I and many people here would be VERY interested to know about your planning and the results! Please keep us informed!

Have you made dives on other wrecks in the region?

Hope this helps!
JanJ

Re: Wilhelm Gustloff

Post by JanJ »

I was diving at Gustloff many times, you do not need permission to dive, but remeber it is a memorial place ....
Peter.o wrote:We are some divers from Sweden that’s planning to dive the wreck off Wilhelm Gustloff next summer.
Or is diving on that wreck forbidden?
If it’s forbidden is possible to get a permission to dive the wreck?
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Peter Oleander
Sweden
JanJ

Post by JanJ »

Hi I was diving on Gustloff many times, i have photos andi videos from this ship.
testing wrote:I believe that diving on the wreck is indeed prohibited as it is marked as an offical gravesite. I know that dives on it have taken place, but I believe they were organized through offical channels first. This all may have changed recently but I am fairly certain it is still the case.

You can find a recent drawing of the condition of the wreck from an offical dive in the article on the Gustloff on the Feldgrau main page.

http://feldgrau.com/wilhelmgustloff.html

If you do go ahead and make the dive I know that I and many people here would be VERY interested to know about your planning and the results! Please keep us informed!

Have you made dives on other wrecks in the region?

Hope this helps!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Would you care to provide some of the photos for others to see on this site, or at least for me to look at in private? I have studied the wreck a lot and would be very interested to see photos from it!
Peter.o

Post by Peter.o »

testing wrote:Have you made dives on other wrecks in the region?
No I haven’t dived any wrecks in that area. But I have dived on many WW2 wrecks in Norway/Narvik (Germans Zerstörer) and on the Swedish west coast (German Cargo Ships).
JanJ wrote:Hi I was diving on Gustloff many times, i have photos andi videos from this ship.
I would like to see photos of the wreck also :D :wink:

Best regards
Peter