Atlantis captured currency

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Black Baron
Supporter

Atlantis captured currency

Post by Black Baron »

http://www.nesa.org.uk/html/automedon-ultra.htm

6 million strait currency notes. What might have happenned to this? Likely went down with the ship, but had it made it home, then what? & any other captured currency for that matter.
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

Here's some data on 'Straits' notes.

Among their haul were the new Royal Navy fleet ciphers and the new Merchant Navy ciphers valid from 1 January 1941, also Admiralty weekly shipping intelligence summaries, and a host of other sensitive documents, there was also six million dollars of new Straits currency notes, fresh from the Treasury printers in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straits_dollar

The Straits dollar was the currency used in the British colonies and protectorates in Malaya and Borneo, including the Straits Settlements.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Unissued notes were as big a problem then as now, as not having been in circulation yet their numbers were "known" and they couldn't be laundered - which did happen even in those balmy days. Afurther problem for something like Straits currency was that it didn't have an international trade value, would have to be changed locally to Sterling value before it could be exchanged for any other currency that was internationally listed.

Currency that had been in circulation already however was a VERY different thing; a certain percentage would be given to the Abwehr, the Foreign Ministry and the Gestapo, for the funding of their activities abroad - funding bunds and other organisations, funding espionage - bribery, blackmail etc.

In large amounts and stable currencies however, the Nazis had an operation out through Switzerland and based in a schloss in Southern Bavaria, where forign currency was sent across the border in exchange for war materiel. This operation continued through the war and is primarily known nowadays for its punting-out to the outside world of millions of RMs in foreign currency....counterfeit, from the SS operation in Dachau I think it was. The old "Private Schultz" tale and the counterfeit currency from the Toplitzsee etc. The intended use of all this to destabilise Britain ended up very secondary to Germany's use of this "funny money" to pay for war supplies.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

Thanks Phylo. It would seem captain Rogge would have to head down to Borneo & Malaya to enjoy his retirement fund.
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

Now what if there were circulated currency found aboard a ship? & this topic certainly not limited to Atlantis. I wonder what the habits of allied cargo ships were during the war regarding carrying currency? Possible different from nation to nation, or may depend on type of cargo?

Was currency distributed to outer colonies via these ships? It would seem so as the currency Atlantis was carrying was no doubt bound for its further outposts. Dunno why else it would be on the ship, it obviously had a destination & purpose.
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

Now what if there were circulated currency found aboard a ship? & this topic certainly not limited to Atlantis. I wonder what the habits of allied cargo ships were during the war regarding carrying currency? Possible different from nation to nation, or may depend on type of cargo?

Was currency distributed to outer colonies via these ships? It would seem so as the currency the ship Atlantis captured was carrying was no doubt bound for its further outposts. Dunno why else it would be on the ship, it obviously had a destination & purpose.
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

So much for an edit button, sorry bout double post.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Certainly. Currency transport wasn't restricted to specially-routed warships or anything like that, its usually quite a low-key business. Just a sealed cargo in the ship's safe, like any other. "new" notes are actually quite easy to carry, nice and flat and compacted, not crinkly and wrinkly yet LOL Hmm that must be why *I* get charged SO much for air travel LOL
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Black Baron
Supporter

Post by Black Baron »

Well, if Rogge did find any used currency, I doubt he would've told too many about it. Flat currency makes sense.

Some countries updated their currency after the war, which may make moving older stuff dificult. Don't know enough about it to say with certitude.