Any WWII-era German Warships on display?

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Simon, where are Gneisenau's turrets?
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

I went to see the U-505 around this time last year and they've cleaned her up pretty nicely and gave her a new underground "pen". She's got her own room and alot of exhibits around the submarine that talk about submarines and all the related stuff. If you want a tour, order the tickets online so you actually can get some (me and my wife went and couldn't get tickets for a on-board tour 30 minutes after the museum opened!)

Cheers,
Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

derGespenst wrote:Simon, where are Gneisenau's turrets?

http://www.atlantikwall.net/museums_no_austrat_fort.htm
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

That pictured battery, with the addition of the Gneisenau turrets, must have then become one of the strongest in the world at that time! That was pretty ingenious of the Norwegians to have salvaged them and put them to defensive use.

Matt B.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Not a warship but I believe Goerings motor boat is in private hands here in North America and isn't the USS Eagle (Sailing ship) a "war prize" from Germany??

Nice thread on the Turrets in Norway too.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The success of Norwegian coastal batteries was one of her army's few successes in 1940....and that was with the old guns from the 1890s! They'd have been tripping over themselves to modernise! LMAO
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

I did a search on the USS Eagle, and found that it was indeed a war prize. Here's a link to some information on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_%28WIX-327%29

Interesting stuff 8)

Matt B.
Hagen von Tronje

Post by Hagen von Tronje »

Last I checked, U-2540, a Type XXI, was still on display in Bremerhaven, Germany.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:2004- ... erlich.jpg

Plus, although I'm not sure, another of Gneisenau's turrets was installed outside of Bergen at Fjell. Come to think of it, the turret was removed lately.

And, if you're ever in the vicinity of Esbjerg, Denmark, you'll find some cut-up 38cm barrels at Blavand. Not sure, but they were from Tirpitz, I'd guess.