HMS Jersey

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

HMS Jersey

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Gentlemen,

if some one has got a book whose title is "Mediterranean malestrom" about the British DD HMS Jervis, may write me what that source states about that destroyer activity on 19, 20 and 21 July 1940?

Many thanks

EC :[]
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
wdragon

Re: HMS Jersey

Post by wdragon »

[quote="Enrico Cernuschi"]Hello Gentlemen,

if some one has got a book whose title is "Mediterranean malestrom" about the British DD HMS Jervis, may write me what that source states about that destroyer activity on 19, 20 and 21 July 1940?

Many thanks

Hi Enrico,

I will be at the British Library on Friday of next week and I will take a look at the book for you.

Regards

David Pounder[/color]
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Thank you David,

let me know what can I in change.

Greetings

EC
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
wdragon

Re: HMS Jersey

Post by wdragon »

Enrico Cernuschi wrote:Hello Gentlemen,

Many thanks

EC :[]

Hi Enrico,

I suspect that the content of this response may not contain what you are expecting; the only activity on this destroyer on those dates was being done by the paint gang.

This is from page 58 of the book...

There was limited sea-time for jervis in the seecond half of July. The 2nd flotilla which had sailed with the Australian cruiser Sydney encountered two Italian cruisers. They helped sink one of them, the 6" gun cruiser Bartolemeno Colleoni. The 14th DF sailed when the heavy units of the fleet set off at noon on the 16th to intercept the suspected route of retreat of the second cruiser Bande Nere, towards Tobruk, without encountering the escaping ship the flotilla returned to Alexandria next day, after making a vain search for a missing Walrus flow off from the flagship Warspite.
Six clear days followed in harbour which the new second lieutenant Scott and his henchman the buffer (chief bosun) used to acheive what was nearest to their hearts, the overall repainting of the ship.

....{two paragraphs record the details of painting}...

Jervis immaculate in her repainted livery, sailed at 0200/27th with her flotilla in the lead of the great ships of the fleet to cover progress of a large convoy from the Dardanelles bound for Port Said and Alexandria

Regards

David