Graf Spey Location

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Orpheus

Graf Spey Location

Post by Orpheus »

Greetings,

Can anyone give me the geographical location ( 'Lat and Long') of the wreck of the Graf Spey. I hoped to find it with Google Earth and believe that it is located somewhere off Punte del Estre (?) but cannot see any sign of it.

I understand that attempts are being made to raise the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Orpheus
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Orpheus, start with this thread:

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... =graf+spee

Some of the linked material might get you a little closer. Failing that, try googling Graf Spee. You should be able to find, somewhere, a decent map of her last moments.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I thought it was cut up for scrap a few years ago, and its eagle saved???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Mobile Infantry
Supporter

Post by Mobile Infantry »

Some parts have been taken from the wreck including the raingefinder and the eagle.

Pictures here:
http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ ... wreck.html
As all soldiers know since thousands of years death is not noble. It´s just very final.
Mobile Infantry
Supporter

Post by Mobile Infantry »

Even if you have the correct Lat/Long you won´t find the ship with google earth or maps because there are no good pictures: The city of Montevideo and the coastline are perfect but the open water looks like green-brown mud - no sign of the "Graf Spee". It should be about 6 nautical miles away from the harbor of Montevideo.
As all soldiers know since thousands of years death is not noble. It´s just very final.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Thats because the estuary there IS basically green-brown mud LOL which is why the Graf Spee settled to the bottom - with so much of her showing aboe the water.
In satellite and high-altitude photos, the colour of river and estauries, sometimes continental shelf waters, depends on how much mud and silt is in suspension in the water, and thus how shallow and/or fastflowing (or not) the waters are.

phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds