Graf Zeppelin was found!

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
dect
Supporter

Graf Zeppelin was found!

Post by dect »

The wreck of the german aircraft carrier "Graf Zeppelin" was found 30 miles north from Władysławowo harbor, Poland, in a deepness of 80 meters.

It was found by an oil-well derrick-team and today it's location was confirmed by Polish Navy.

Below latest Sonar Views from ORP "Arctowski"

And some links (in German and Polish)

http://xs304.xs.to/xs304/06303/GZ_1.jpg
http://xs304.xs.to/xs304/06303/GZ_2.JPG

http://www.deutschekriegsmarine.de/W...dex/index.html

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,428745,00.html
http://www.stg.online.pl

The first Polish site entirely dedicated to the German MKb - MP 43/44 - StG assault rifles. Auch auf Deutsch.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

You know, given the propensity of the cold Baltic water to inhibit rust and decay, and the fact that it was a gunnery target and thus not a war grave, and the condition it seems to be in.......

Raise it! Go on, go on, go on, go on go on..............
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks for posting the excellent photos! I never cease to be amazed by what the deep cold waters of the Baltic Sea hold beneath its waves.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Raise it! Go on, go on, go on, go on go on..............
To what pratical end?

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Jason Pipes wrote: I never cease to be amazed by what the deep cold waters of the Baltic Sea hold beneath its waves.
Baltic water has over 22 celsius 8)
Torquez

Post by Torquez »

An umentioned aspect is that with time the corrosion erodes the paint, toxic materials and metals in this ship as in other German wreckages, poisoning Polish sea and our water supplies. Sadly even after its demise German Reich harms Poland, perhaps it would be good if Germany would finance some cleaning up operations of Baltic before it is more poisoned.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Torqui , go and do your trolling elsewhere , OK ?

Jan-Hendrik
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Torquez wrote:An umentioned aspect is that with time the corrosion erodes the paint, toxic materials and metals in this ship as in other German wreckages, poisoning Polish sea and our water supplies. Sadly even after its demise German Reich harms Poland, perhaps it would be good if Germany would finance some cleaning up operations of Baltic before it is more poisoned.
What about "Jan Heweliusz" near Sassnitz?
Torquez

Post by Torquez »

This is a reall issue, in fact it was mentioned in several news reports on the find. The ships are poisoning the waters of Baltic through erosion of toxic metals, pain and other substances. As most of this wreckage is the result of German wars, it would be fitting for Germany to correct what it has done wrong.
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Torquez wrote:
This is a reall issue, in fact it was mentioned in several news reports on the find. The ships are poisoning the waters of Baltic through erosion of toxic metals, pain and other substances. As most of this wreckage is the result of German wars, it would be fitting for Germany to correct what it has done wrong.
Done wrong? You don't say...

Don't you think that Germans would like to have a nice and clear Baltic either? It's all about the money.

Jason, please, cut out any more off topic posts here - thanks ina advance.

Regards
Jace

The first Polish site entirely dedicated to the German MKb - MP 43/44 - StG assault rifles. Auch auf Deutsch.
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Torquez wrote:
I too am outraged! :evil:

How dare the Germans build a ship that can SINK!!! You'd think she would have been able to withstand beign bombed and torpedoes by the Soviet Union but Nooooooo!

I will see to it that this type of thing does not happen with Finnish ships. I will write to the director of Aker Finnyards, Tarja Halonen, AND my Kindergaten teacher to voice my concerns.

Just to be sure I'll go down to the marina tonight and scream at the boats there so they won't even think about sinking, especially not if they're being bombed or torpedoed.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

....especially not in holy polish waters! :wink:
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Guys, guys, please! Don't talk about "holy polish waters", "shouting at the boats", etc.

Stick with the topic please.

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Let's rise above the baiting, fellas!

Stay on the topic.

This is from answers.com:
As the end of World War II neared, the roughly completed carrier was scuttled in shallow water at Stettin (now Szczecin) on 25 April, 1945, just before the Red Army captured the city. After Germany's surrender, though, its history and fate is unclear. According to the terms of the Allied Tripartite Commission, a "Category C" ship (damaged or scuttled) should have been destroyed or sunk in deep water by 15 August 1946. Instead, the Russians decided to repair the damaged ship. It was refloated in March, 1946. The last known photo of the carrier shows it leaving Swinemuende (now Swinoujscie on 7 April, 1947 (see [1]). The photo appears to show the carrier deck loaded with various containers, boxes and construction elements, hence the supposition that it was probably used to carry looted factory equipment from Poland and Germany to the Soviet Union.

For many years no other information about the ship's fate was available. There was some speculation that it was very unlikely that the hull made it to Leningrad, as it was argued that the arrival of such a large and unusual vessel would have been noticed by Western intelligence services. This assumption seemed to imply that the hull was lost at sea during transfer between Swinemuende and Leningrad. One account concluded that it struck a mine north of Rügen on 15 August 1947, but Rügen, west of Swinemuende, is not on the sailing route to Leningrad. Further north, in the Gulf of Finland, a heavily-mined area difficult for Western observers to monitor, seemed more likely.

After the opening of the Soviet archives, new light was shed on the mystery. It appears that the carrier was towed to Leningrad. There, after unloading, it was designated as "PO-101" (Floating Base Number 101). The Russians hoped that the carrier could be repaired in Leningrad's shipyards (those in Szczecin were destroyed). When this proved impractical, the ship was towed out to sea, back to the Swinemuende area. There, on 16 August, 1947, it was used as a practice target for Soviet ships and aircraft. Allegedly, the Soviets installed aerial bombs on the flight deck, in hangars and even inside the funnels (to simulate a load of combat munitions), and then dropped bombs from aircraft, fired shells, and shot torpedoes into it. This assault would both comply with the Tripartite mandate (albeit late) and provide the Soviets with experience in sinking an aircraft carrier. By this point, the Cold War had well begun, and the Soviets were well aware of the large numbers and central importance of aircraft carriers in the US Navy, which in the event of an actual war between the Soviet Union and America would be targets of high strategic importance. Hence, experience in sinking carriers by aircraft was much more valuable in 1947 than before 1945. After being hit by 24 bombs and projectiles, the ship did not sink and had to be finished off by torpedoes. The wreck of the carrier has never been located.
So, I would submit that rather than baying for German reparations, Poland should seek redress from a little more easterly direction.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Tom wrote:Poland should seek redress from a little more easterly direction.
I really doubt that we will ever get anything from THEM.

I wonder what will happen to the wreck - I can bet that right now at least dozen German, Polish, Russian and other diver teams are makig preparations to get there and pick up as much as possible - if there is anything valuable...