Ritterkreuzträger der Vorpostenboote

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Stefan
Banned

Ritterkreuzträger der Vorpostenboote

Post by Stefan »

I wonder for which extraordinary performance a Kommandant or Steuermann of a Vorpostenboot would be awarded the Ritterkreuz. The following KM soldiers managed to achieve this: Karl-Heinz Fischer, Otto Flügel, Ekkehard Martienssen, Rudolf Porath, Karl Schulz, Eugen Tellgmann and Erich Wulff. Does anybody know more about them?
M.S.Laarman

vP- Ritterkreuzträger

Post by M.S.Laarman »

On some of them I have some detail, since I have a SP of them.

Karl heinz Fischer: He was Steuermann on V-722, which was attacked by english destroyers and gunboats. Fischer took over control after the CO and 16 crewmembers had died.

Martienissen: he managed to damage the destroyer Eskimo in a battle, 2 other VP boats were sunk. He also was succesful in destroying mines and, shared succes in sinking several MTB's and shooting down airplanes.

Schulz: his boat shot down 21 planes and sunk or damaged 3 MTB's.

You might perhaps expect that VP-boats didn't see much action, and likewise their CO couldn't receive a KC. The facts are however that this type of vessel was in constant action, sweeping mines, protect convoys, etc, that most of the vessels had regulary contact with the enemy, especial late in the war, when the allieds controlled the air. The boats were heavily armed, strong, and could make it very hard to attacking MTB's or fighters.

Kind regards,

Maurice