3./11. Marineersatzabteilung World War II

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
cmnoll

3./11. Marineersatzabteilung World War II

Post by cmnoll »

Can anybody help me finding information on the above mentioned division? When it was founded, where it acted during World War II, photographs, survivors ...... simply anything. My grandfather was a part of it. However, his fate is unknown.
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

Is that your Grandfather or someone else?

http://www.volksbund.de/mitmachaktionen ... sp?id=5767
cmnoll

Post by cmnoll »

Arne wrote:Is that your Grandfather or someone else?

http://www.volksbund.de/mitmachaktionen ... sp?id=5767
No I am afraid that is not him. His name is Georg Kurz and he was born 19 February 1905. I have found matching data on the Volsbund homepage. However, only his date of birth and that he served in the Marine. I have tried WASt as well. They did not have any records apart from the fact that he served in the Marineersatzabteilung and that he reported being kept at a field hospital in Riesenburg at the beginning of 1945. WASt regreted not being able to give me more details about his fate. So I am trying to trace his bataillion and will engage in some field research in Poland.

Nevertheless, thank you very much Arne for responding.
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

Let me give you some more input on that.

First: Marineersatzabteilungen don't "do" anything in wars. They just sit in their home garison and train personel to be send to ships that need replacements.

Second: When the russians came closer to the borders of Germany many units of the Replacement-Army (Ersatzheer) where send to the front.
I.e. the 3. Marineersatzabteilung was simply renamed Marine-Schützen-Bataillon 109 in 1945.
Most probably something similar happend to 11. M.E.A. as it seems the renaming of the unit was not recorded, otherwise WASt would have known.
Another option is that 11. M.E.A. was consumed by a Navy Infantry unit already in east prussia.
Anyhow these Naval-Groundforces where always equiped by lowest standarts at best. Most just vanished under an attack by forces with long combat history, like the russians had.

At least you now know that there is someone else looking for another missing soldier from the same unit.
Maybe you should contact this person/s to coordinate affords or at least ask for all details known to them.
Peter K.
Contributor

11. Marineersatzabteilung

Post by Peter K. »

Hello cmoll!

The 11. Marineersatzabteilung was founded on 01.01.1944 by renaming the existing 11. Ersatz-Marineartillerieabteilung. It was destroyed in the East in 1945.

commanders:
Korv.Kapt. M.A. Walther Ruge 01.44-05.44
Korv.Kapt. Graf von Schwerin 05.44-01.45

Greetings from Austria
Peter K.