Italo-German Coastwatchers, Spies; Kriegsmarine / Red Navy

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Dear All

Still interested in :

(i) evidence of Kriegsmarine Coastwatching, Scottish East Coast - Firth of Forth, as suggested by the 1990's discovery of a cave with a swastika carved on a wall, but also all coasts

(ii) details of Kriegsmarine and Red Navy submarine / surface ships co-operating during Nazi-Soviet Pact era, especially Red Navy provision of U-Boat and U-Boat supply ships' facilities at, e.g. Terebirka or Terbika, near Murmansk and in the Soviet Far East

(iii) Nazi and Italian Fascist intelligence agents and sympthisers in the UK were busy 1928-1940 feeding Berlin and Rome with naval secrets and info about shipping movements, ports and harbours, naval defences.

In his book 'The Game of the Foxes', Ladislas Farago wrote about extensive Abwehr usage of German shipping lines and civilian aircraft as conduits for such information and for the movement and infiltration of Abwehr and other agents and couriers.

Can anyone expand upon these activities, especially with reference to German and Italian naval and merchant marine espionage in pre-war and wartime Scotland?

Besten and mfg...Alan Newark
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Alan,

i) A swastika carved on the wall of a cave seems extremely slender evidence of German coastwatchers in the Firth of Forth. It would have been highly unclandestine and would have contradicted the secretive essence of such activities.

ii) I seem to recall that German merchant ships at sea at the outbreak of war (including at least one Strength-Through-Joy liner) were often directed to Soviet Arctic ports. They were recovered after the Germans conquered Norway.

Cheers,

Sid.
OHARA

Post by OHARA »

Jan Wellem, the ex-whale factory ship serving as a tanker supported the German forces attacking Norway in April 1940. She sailed from Murmansk and, not concidentially, was the only one of the three support ships assigned to Narvik to safely arrive. The British considered the possibility of the German destroyers trapped there after the First Battle of Narvik making for Murmansk. [/i]
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Gentlemen,
the Italian navy (and Army) HUMINT intelligence activity in UK was 99% a Soviet courtesy since 1932 until 1940. The Russians were able to deliver sound infos until May 1940 when the Special Branch smashed the nets, first among them the one linked to Tyler Kent and the US Embassy.
The other, very important source was SIGINT. Italian motor fishery vessels followed, like the Soviet ones in the next decades, British naval activities and exercises since 1935 collecting much radio traffic.
The Italian navy was able to read a good percentage of the British codes during the war.
Bye EC
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
alan newark
Supporter

Re: Italo-German Coastwatchers, Spies; Kriegsmarine / Red Navy

Post by alan newark »

Dear Sid, Enrico and OHARA

Brotherly greetings from late-p.m. Leeds here in the north of England.

Hope you are all safe, well and enjoying sunshine.

Just to say that I have, in Kriegsmarine section, again appealed for information about Nazi subs using Soviet ports during the Nazi-Soviet Pact period. A few years ago, you guys were helpful ref that topic. Just thought Id give you all a chance to apply any fresh thinking or information.

As always, if I can help in any way just ask..

Ciao, Al:->
alan newark
Supporter

Re: Italo-German Coastwatchers, Spies; Kriegsmarine / Red Navy

Post by alan newark »

Eric..my original post with ref to Ladislas Farago book..'Game of the Foxes'.

by alan newark » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:02 am

Dear All

Still interested in :

(i) evidence of Kriegsmarine Coastwatching, Scottish East Coast - Firth of Forth, as suggested by the 1990's discovery of a cave with a swastika carved on a wall, but also all coasts

(ii) details of Kriegsmarine and Red Navy submarine / surface ships co-operating during Nazi-Soviet Pact era, especially Red Navy provision of U-Boat and U-Boat supply ships' facilities at, e.g. Terebirka or Terbika, near Murmansk and in the Soviet Far East

(iii) Nazi and Italian Fascist intelligence agents and sympthisers in the UK were busy 1928-1940 feeding Berlin and Rome with naval secrets and info about shipping movements, ports and harbours, naval defences.

In his book 'The Game of the Foxes', Ladislas Farago wrote about extensive Abwehr usage of German shipping lines and civilian aircraft as conduits for such information and for the movement and infiltration of Abwehr and other agents and couriers.

Can anyone expand upon these activities, especially with reference to German and Italian naval and merchant marine espionage in pre-war and wartime Scotland?

Besten and mfg...Alan Newark