Bf 109 vs P-51 Mustangs

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

Oops sorry, a mistake. I understand why the americans give a name to their birds. That avoids the confusion.
For Indochina, The best plane available for the kind of missions that the french soldiers needed was the P 47 Thunderbolt. Long range, powerful, fast, reliable and "hard at work". France had some P 47 but it didn't send them to Indochina. The Thunderbolt needed long runways ( not airstrips) and swallowed too much fuel. The french governements ( the s is important) prefered to waste soldiers instead of fuel. In Algeria, the french army used the P 47. One of my friend was in Indochina and did some bombing missions with a....Junker Ju 52. If one day you go to Cao Bang and see the wreck of a Ju 52, it's the "bomber" of my friend. For the Napalm, the Ju 52 was used too. At Dien Bien Phu, the americans helped the frenchmen with their C 119s ( under the cover of a private firm).

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

The French used the Jug in Algeria? I never heard of this before, Dackel; do you have an online source for this?

Yours,
Paul
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Paul,

In 1959, France received Douglas Skyraider as a replacement of the P47 careworn, timeworn and worn out by work.
I've only found a site in french :
http://membres.lycos.fr/avionsfrancais/ ... rbolt.html
The french navy used its Corsair F4U7 until 1964 ( Indochina, Algeria and Suez in 1956).
One year ago, I saw a french F4U7 in a meeting. In fact, it was a F4U5 purchased in Argentina powered by a DC 7 engine. :wink:

I told you so that the Jug was hard at work. :wink:

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

OK, Dackel, you convinced me, but I swear, this was the first time ever that I'd heard of the P-47 fighting in any war other than the war it's associated with (though I knew about the F4U-7).

Yours,
Paul
oetheus

Re: Bf 109 vs P-51 Mustangs

Post by oetheus »

I remember documentries years ago when they tested the BF 109s against spitfires they had no oxygen masks Here is a link to an american that has flown all the planes involved worth consideration speed dosnt always matter too.
http://www.scientistsandfriends.com/aircraft.html
make your own opinion americans always colour things to there advantage to.