Wilhelm Jabs: Nachrichtenabteilung 12

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
Renae

Wilhelm Jabs: Nachrichtenabteilung 12

Post by Renae »

A German 1940 military document (the only one I have) lists my father in Nachrichtenabteilung 12. I know that this basically means "communications or news group" or something like that. I also know he was in a panzer division, that he was still alive in Feb/Mar 1944 but was declared missing later in 1944. Some elderly relative "thinks" he was killed near Moscow, but that is most likely not the case in 1944.

Volksbund cemetaries think they have him buried near Budapest, but not all data about him (or other Wilhelm Jabs searaches on their site) is entirely correct, and they advise they have no other information.

Since I am monumentally ignorant about the WWII Germany military, could any of you studious folks tell me if a "Nachrichtenabteilung 12" most likely existed in all divisions of the Wehrmacht, or if the "12" might denote Heer or Waffen SS specifically?

It is extremely uncomfortable to not even have enough basic information to pose a reasonable question on this site. But any snippet of information about this group -- or if anyone recognizes my father by name -- is greatly appreciated. I am determined to find out where and how my father was killed before I kick my own proverbial "bucket."

Thanks.

Renae in California
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

I think, 1940 he belonged to the 12. Infantry Division.
Take a look:
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... 12ID-R.htm

Thomas
Renae

Post by Renae »

Vielen Dank, cpa95 in Heidelberg!