Good books on the Condor Legion?

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Good books on the Condor Legion?

Post by sid guttridge »

Can anyone recommend any in depth books on the Condor Legion in Spain over 1936-39? I am particularly interested in the activities of the army component.

Many thanks,

Sid.
John W. Howard

Condor Legion

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Sid:
I asked a similar question in the book section some time ago, only I was looking for info on the Spanish Civil War. Jason very kindly answered me and here are two books which might be of use to you: LEGION CONDOR: UNIFORMS, ORGANIZATION, AND HISTORY by Roger James Bender and HITLER'S LUFTWAFFE IN THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR. The later appears to be more about the air operations, but the former sounds good. Jason also mentioned THE HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR by James W. Cortada(ed.). Doing a search might get you back to my original thread; I think I entitled it "Good Books About The Spanish Civil War" or something to that effect. I hope this is helpful. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi John,

Thanks. I have found the thread and it contains the same three book titles. I shall get them through inter-library loan.

Many thanks,

Sid.
John W. Howard

Condor Legion

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Sid:
Glad to be of assistance, Sid. Let me know what you think of them; I have not gotten around to them yet. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi John,

I have now got the first two books you recommended.

Between them they seem to cover almost averything I wanted to know about the Condor Legion. "Hitler's Luftwaffe...." is a dry, document-based history of the unit of exactly the detailed sort I like, but is devoid of illustration. "Legion Condor...." is the reverse. It is heavy on illustration (although not in colour) and has the added benefit of covering the army and naval elements in the Condor Legion. Thus, between the two, a very good coverage is achieved across the board.

If any publisher is reading this, "Legion Condor....." could usefully be republished for a popular market.

Many thanks for a good steer.

Cheers,

Sid.
John W. Howard

Glad to Be of Service

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Sid:
I am glad my suggestions panned out, and thank you for the break-down of the two book's contents. One of these days I will get the Spanish Civil War bug again and check on both of them. A fascinating period of history. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi Sid,

If you speak German, Klaus Meier's Guernica (c.1975) is an excellent study of that fateful raid as well as the bombing strategy of the Legion Condor. It includes lengthy extracts from Richthofen's diary.

Wilfred von Oven Hitler und der Spanische Bürgerkrieg is about the best general account of the German war in Spain and is available for less than £10 on abebooks.

R Lobsien Legion Condor Sie flogen jenseits der Grenzen has a good overview of the air war, plus some truly stunning colour pix.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man