Kaiser Yacht

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
Chris Ruberg

Kaiser Yacht

Post by Chris Ruberg »

My grandfather was a seaman in the WWI kriegsmarine and later as a seaman on the Kaiser Yacht. Are there any historical documents or crew lists for the Kaiser Yacht during the first world war ?

..thanks in advance for any assistance.
Chris
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana !
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Try the Garnisonkirche Wilhelmshaven.

Durin the 20th the Steeringweel of the Kaiseryacht Hohenzollern was brought to the Garnisonkirche Wilhelmshaven and a first memorial was made.

Also a book of honour with names of 34.834 soldiers of the German Kriegsmarine of the 1ww.

Richard
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Post by Ernest Penfold »

Forgive me for an off-topic post, but this thread reminds me of something I've been wondering about for several years now that perhaps someone here can answer.

Czar Nicholas II also had a yacht, the Standart. What did the Bolsheviks do with it after the Revolution?
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

The following quote is from http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRus ... yacht.html
After the Revolution, the former Imperial Yacht was destined to be stripped of all its former elegance. In 1917, the Standart was renamed Vosemnadtsate Martza. In 1932, she was renamed Marti. Between then and December 1936, she was refitted as a drab, grey minelayer at the Marti Yard in Leningrad for service in the Soviet Navy. The heavy gun armament was fitted, as were mine rails. There were 4 rails on the mine deck, and 2 more on the upper deck. The mine deck could carry 580 mines, and 200 could be accomodated on the upper deck.

With the German invasion of Russia, the Marti laid some 3159 mines, and bombarded shore positions near Leningrad. On 23rd September 1941, Marti was damaged in an air attack at Kronstadt, but was quickly repaired to resume action on the 26th of the same month. In autumn 1941, some of her guns were used ashore at Leningrad.

After the war, Marti was refitted and converted to a training ship, renamed Oka. During the refit, the steam engines were replaced by diesels. She was scrapped at Tallinn in Estonia in 1963.
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Post by Ernest Penfold »

Wow, thanks for your prompt reply!
SS-Oberscharführer Rudel
Supporter

Post by SS-Oberscharführer Rudel »

This webby wouldnt even have the pics above..
A man who can't uphold his beliefs is pathetic dead or alive.

Ten years... it's only two words. But to live it is a long time.