The 27th Waffen SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Langemarck

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

The 27th Waffen SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Langemarck

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

The 27th Waffen SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Langemarck: An Illustrated History
by Massimiliano Afiero
Schiffer Publishing

This book is a detailed history of the 27th Waffen-SS Division “Langemarck,” the Flemish volunteer SS combat formation. “Langemarck” was employed chiefly on the Eastern Front, first in the Ukraine in early 1944, then participating with a combat group in Estonia along the Tannenberg Line in the summer of 1944, alongside other European Waffen-SS volunteers subordinate to III.SS-Pz.Korps; covering themselves with glory and suffering heavy losses. After transformation into a division, “Langemarck” participated in the final fighting on the Pomeranian and Oder fronts, continuing to fight under extreme conditions, and always holding their assigned positions, counterattacking whenever possible. Most of the Flemish volunteers were able to surrender to the Anglo-American forces, thus escaping capture by the Russians. This complete treatment fills a large gap in Waffen-SS history. Informative appendices relate to the unit’s operational history and also provide details on some of its members, as well as uniforms and insignia.

Size: 9″ x 12″ | 501 b/w images | 128 pp
ISBN13: 9780764350726 | Binding: hard cover

Waffen
Attachments
00_book1.jpg
00_book1.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
panzermahn
Associate

Re: The 27th Waffen SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Langemarck

Post by panzermahn »

I think the bottom picture of the book cover were showing SS panzergrenadiers from the Charlemagne SS division at Pomerania in early 1945, not Langemarck
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

panzermahn wrote:I think the bottom picture of the book cover were showing SS panzergrenadiers from the Charlemagne SS division at Pomerania in early 1945, not Langemarck
If they are Charlgemagne then you know they are NOT panzergrenadiers.
Alan
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

The original caption in the book reads: An SS anti-tank squad armed with.....
So it is not specified whether it is Flemish volunteers. Maybe it was the Editor to choose the cover photo.....

Waffen211
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Alanmccoubrey wrote:
panzermahn wrote:I think the bottom picture of the book cover were showing SS panzergrenadiers from the Charlemagne SS division at Pomerania in early 1945, not Langemarck
If they are Charlgemagne then you know they are NOT panzergrenadiers.
My bad. I should have said that they are Waffen-grenadiers from the Charlemagne Division.
The original caption in the book reads: An SS anti-tank squad armed with.....
So it is not specified whether it is Flemish volunteers. Maybe it was the Editor to choose the cover photo.....

Waffen211
I believed this photo was used in Richard Landwehr's French volunteers of the Waffen SS but I could be wrong