Best book on the Italian Campaign?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

krichter33
Enthusiast

Best book on the Italian Campaign?

Post by krichter33 »

I have Kurowski's book on the Italian campaign, however it seems to be more of a collection of individual actions by different units, rather than a cohesive account of the campaign. Can anyone recommend what they consider to be the best book on the entire campaign in Italy. Are there any that are both tactical and operational, as well as showing both the axis and the allies perspectives?
Klaus Richter
John W. Howard

Re: Best book on the Italian Campaign?

Post by John W. Howard »

Klaus:
There are some great books on the Italian Campaign, but it is very difficult to find that one cohesive account. I am sure the US Army has a campaign history from the US perspective, but how good it might be, I cannot tell you. They tend to vary in quality according to who wrote them. THE MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATION: SALERNO TO CASSINO by Martin Blumenson is the first in the US Army official history of Italy.
I like W.G.F. Jackson. He has a book The Battle For Italy and one on breaking the line at Cassino. There are two British authors, Shellford(sp?) and Bidwell who have written at least two books about the Italian Campaign. I read one of them and it was very good. Try a search on their names and see what you can find. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
krichter33
Enthusiast

Re: Best book on the Italian Campaign?

Post by krichter33 »

I believe the one by Bidwell is "Tug of War." I've heard of that one as well as the one by Jackson, but I wasn't sure which was better. How is the Jackson book? I like books that tend to be rather operational and tactical, and have good maps. Does it cover the German side as well? Other than Salerno, Anzio, Cassino, ext...I'm not too knowledgeable about the Campaign. Most of the books I own are about the East, and right now I'm reading the Blitzkrieg Legend to learn more about France 1940. However I have a ton of unit histories to read that deal with Italy, but I wanted to familiarize myself with the whole campaign first........since we're on the topic, do you know any good book, from both sides, that deal with the U.S. sector of the Normandy battle. I know everything about Caen and the whole British sector including everything from Goodwood to Tractable, but not so much about St Lo and the "other" side???? And one more question, sorry, how about a good operational, tactical history or histories about North Africa? I read Kitchen's excellent book, but it was more strategic and political than operational and tactical. Sorry for all the questions, I just got tired of reading about the East so much, and the more recent (15 years) pendulum swing of Eastern front historiography tends to be a little annoying. Rather than balance out from the pre-90's mentality, the pendulum swung too far the other way...Thanks for your help....
Klaus Richter