Review: Moscow Tram Stop

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Review: Moscow Tram Stop

Post by sniper1shot »

Title: Moscow Tram Stop
Authour: Dr. Heinrich Haape
Publisher: Collins (1957)
ISBN: None
Stars: 5 (out of5)

OK troops, it has been quite sometime since I have posted a review and have actually had some members here ask me if I am still around.....I am and appreciate their concern. With work, kids, and of course real life, time seems to be the only thing I am short of....

That being said, here we go.

I have been searching for this title for a long long time. I actually found this title online with a store in England w/original just jacket. This is the memoir of Dr. Haape and his experiences with the 18th Infantry Regt, mainly the 3rd Battalion and their march into Russia. At the start of Barbarossa there were 800 soldiers and after the first winter, only 28 'originals' were alive. Dr. Haape goes on to describe the initial victories, and short sharp actions. His work with casualties up close to the fighting and the lose of some fellow friends he knew. His description of the winter fighting is vivid and well described and one can truly feel the cold weather that all the soldiers felt while waiting for Russian counter attacks. When his leave is cancelled you understand his sadness and thought of hopelessness that he will never leave Russia. During the late winter and early Spring the fighting intensifies and he is put with other units to handle their casualties and the fighting he describes around some of these small Russian towns is utterly terrifying. Dr. Haape talks of working with Hiwi's, and their dedication to helping the Germans and also of having to take up arms himself to defend the casualty clearing stations. The author manages to survive the first winter and ultimately the war to return home.
If you can find a copy of this book I recommend you pick it up !! :up:
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
gorehound

Re: Review: Moscow Tram Stop

Post by gorehound »

If anyone wants to be able to read this and you only read English then go here:
https://mega.nz/#F!l0AhTTIZ!yE7dkWQsY7vCmQk3oCJ5Tg

I went and bought a fair condition reading copy and scanned the whole book at 240 DPI.
Enjoy the book.I spent the money and the time so people can actually read this great book.Tell others who love studying and learning WW2 History.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Good job. Took me forever to find a copy.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
gorehound

Post by gorehound »

No problem at all.I know how people always talked of the book.I waited and waited but no one put it back out.Now you can all share it with others.