Schwere Panzerabteilung 503/FHH

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Schwere Panzerabteilung 503/FHH

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Of the dealers listed on Amazon UK on Richard's link, I can heartily recommend Book Depository; I regularly buy new German-language books through them. £40 + £2.75 P&P is a bargain for such a mammoth book.

Equally, anyone with an Amazon account can buy from Amazon.de who provide an outstanding service; they typically charge 6 Euros for shipping to Blighty and it normally arrives quicker than from Amazon UK. Just a word of caution, though: although Amazon.de take credit/debit cards, a lot of their sub-sellers do not. Germans, wisely, don't share our love of plastic (and free bank transfers help...) :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Sod it. I succumbed and bought it. And Bruno Bork's book as well. Damn you German publishers for producing so many good books. :D
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

The Bork one is on my list for next month, Uwe has it already and told me it is simply great :D

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Mein Gott, this is an enormous and very impressive book, produced on very nice paper (although it's a shame the publishers didn't use photo paper for the images - I'm guessing that was a weight/cost issue, not that the photographs have come out badly, far from it). Quite simply one of the very best unit histories you will ever see. And above all, the human element shines through with a myriad of first-hand accounts, diary entries and the like. :[]
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

The 50 Euros they want in the book stores are a joke, isn'nt it :wink: :D

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Although my bank manager doesn't always see the funny side. :D

Still waiting for Bork. :( Sounds like a Samuel Beckett play... :D
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

After reading the English lang. verision (and the recent, to me at least) III Pz Korps at Kursk it's become obvious that there are a LOT of pictures out there waiting to be seen. Almost as if every man in 503 sPz had a camera as an item of kit!

Schneider's Panzer Tactics is another one with pictures I never dreampt I'd see - Tigers roadmarching in the East, preparing tiger tracks for the railroad, fueling up etc. He includes excellent and many new shots of early war tanks as well. Seeing whole companies of Pz IVk manouevering is awsome.

While I don't read German I can imagine the worth of this new version in pictures alone might be worth it. And I could always translate bits of it, as I have with several histories (Napoleonic) that I have in French. tedious!

cheers
Reb
FalkeEins

Post by FalkeEins »

..what about photo quality? ..I have the Fedorowicz edition and many of the images are very poor having been reproduced far too large..
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

By the way, I met Dr.Lochmann today in Munster, the 1000 printed copies are nearly sold :wink: 8)

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Next time you seem him Jan-Hendrik tell him "congratulations from Australia". It is an exceptionally well written book from numerous personal perspectives - and I very much like that.

Regards,
Peter from Melbourne
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Will do so :wink:

My friend Karl Hinz (his portrait picture you find in the annex of the book) was very happy when he got the book from me last Saturday :D

:[]

Jan-Hendrik