German World War II Memoires and Diaries

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

New updates:
- Germany (9)
- Austria (1)
- The Netherlands (1)
Can you tell me if there are translations in english of the books of Peter Komovec and Franc Lorber/Vladimir Cerjak?
No, they are not available in English or German language.
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

I can recommend:

Konstantin Hierl - Gedanken hinter Stacheldraht (1953)

Hierl/wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Hierl

A list: http://www.klittich-pfankuch.de/inter%2023.htm

Michael
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Great update Klemen!

best regards,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

New updates:
- Germany (2)
- Austria (2)
- Slovenia (2)
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Good work Klemen!

I have something new for you;

Hein Severlong - "WN 62"
A memoir of a machinegunner on the Omaha beach. Some call him the beast of Omaha since he is supposed to be responsible for hundreds of american casualties that day.

Kurt Meyer - Grenadiers: The Story Of Waffen SS General Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer
This book is based on an autobiography he wrote shortly after his release from prison, newly translated from German.

Keep it up! :D

best regards,
Miha / Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Would add the "Tiger Project Series" , edited by Dale.R.Ritter . Mr. Rubbel lend me "his" Vol.1 ( about himself ) . Very intresting !

Jan-Hendrik
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

In Dutch (but also in English, German, Italian and Spanish):

Wigmans, Ik was een der millioenen (I was one of the millions), about the Russian death camps.

(also Dutch:) Jan Vincx (editor) Wee de overwonnenen, stories about Russian Camps, fighting on the Eastern front, etc.

German (also in English) Heinrich Haape, Endstation Moskau 1941-1942, about the fighting in Russia.

German also: Infanterie-Regiment 497, written by a former commander. Published by the author.

Alex D.
ReinhardH
Supporter

Friedrich Brettner

Post by ReinhardH »

I don't know if Friedrich Brettner's books are still in print - if they are, they're most likely available only in the German language. I only have the first one in the list below, which is based on personal accounts of the soldiers and civilians who were there during the last days of the war. Absolutely hair-raising.

Books by Friedrich Brettner:
"Die letzten Kämpfe des II. Weltkrieges, Pinka-Lafnitz-Hochwechsel"
"Die letzten Kämpfe des 2. Weltkrieges im Semmering-Gebiet"
"Schicksale mahnen 1938-1955"
"Hurra Fliegeralarm"
"Diensthund DINGO"
"Für Heimat, Volk und Ehre"
"Die letzten Kämpfe des 2. Weltkrieges im südlichen Niederösterreich"
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

BTW, Brettner is Austrian
KlemenL
Supporter

Re: German World War II Memoires and Diaries

Post by KlemenL »

New Updates:
- Germany (9)
- Austria (1)
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Update

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Found a new book in German by Franz Schönhuber, called "Ich war dabei". It´s the story of a young bavarian boy who first served with the Leibstandarte and then with Nordland. Very interesting!
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

No mention of Belgium?

"Campaign in Russia", by Leon Degrelle, commander of 28. SS Division 'Wallonie"

"The Last Knight of Flanders", by Remy Schryngen, a Flemish Knight's Cross holder.

"Armour Battles of the Waffe nSS", by Willi Fey.
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

A relatively new book is "Sniper on the Eastern Front - The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross" by Albrecht Wacker. Published by Pen and Sword Military, 2005. Technically, it's a biography not an autobiography, but written with the veteran's full consent and cooperation.

Allerberger was an Austrian who served with Gebirgsjager Regiment 144 of 3rd Gebirgs Division from February 1943 to the war's end, always on the Eastern Front. The book is an honest, often brutal account of life at the sharp end by a specialst in an unusual area. I know of no other German snipers' memoirs that have been published. Very readable and highly recommended.
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

To Klemenl

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello,
"[*] Georg Ernst: "Bis zur letzten Stunde". The book is about the life of a common sailor in the german u-boat force at the end of the war. The author Georg Ernst had joined the Kriegsmarine as a volunteer at the age of 17 in march 1943 and had the luck to survive and witness the surrender of his submarine U-1109 in May 1945.
How odd that there exists a book with the same title: "Bis zur letzten Stunde" by Traudl Junge who was Hitler's secretary (Classen Verlag 2002 ISBN 3-546-00311-X).
Another interesting book is: "Als ich 9 Jahre alt war, kam der Krieg". by Hannes Heer (in German) and as told in essays by high school students after the WWII.
Rudi S.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

maschinengewehr42 wrote:A relatively new book is "Sniper on the Eastern Front - The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross" by Albrecht Wacker. Published by Pen and Sword Military, 2005. Technically, it's a biography not an autobiography, but written with the veteran's full consent and cooperation.

Allerberger was an Austrian who served with Gebirgsjager Regiment 144 of 3rd Gebirgs Division from February 1943 to the war's end, always on the Eastern Front. The book is an honest, often brutal account of life at the sharp end by a specialst in an unusual area. I know of no other German snipers' memoirs that have been published. Very readable and highly recommended.
German title is "Im Auge des Jaegers".

Link: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... 90-2499203

Snipers are not my interest at all, but a few friends were really impressed about the story of Allerberger...

Michael