Out-of-print book updates

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lexxx
Supporter

Out-of-print book updates

Post by Lexxx »

As many of you know, obtaining many out-of-print works is proving to be extremely expensive. Furthermore, there is noting more infuriating than buying a rare out-of-print work for $150+ only to find out that one of the smaller military publishers is getting ready to reprint the work for $20.

If you have any information on the re-publication of much sought after works, please post to this thread. Also, if you want to know if any works are being republished, ask. Many on this forum have "inside" information.

Here's what I know:

Hell's Gate by Doug Nash - strong indication the book will be reprinted by RZM Imports in late-2005.

Demyansk by Russ Schneider and Madness Without End by Russ Schneider - author's agent in negotiations to reprint both works, perhaps re-edited as one large volume. Some new material may be included. However, no deal has been concluded.

Grenadiers by Kurt Meyer - Stackpole reprint due any day.
book lover
Supporter

Post by book lover »

The book FOR EUROPE by Robert Forbes,will be reprinted this year.It was printed in a limited 500 copy private edition in 2000.It is very expensive to buy if you can find a copy.The book gives the most detailed description of the French waffen ss in english.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

That is interesting to note! I was one of the lucky few that obtained one of the 500 original copies.

Of note that I believe are being reprinted - a number of the Podzun Pallas Verlag unit histories, by a German publisher! I'll post which ones when i figure that part out.

You know what book I'd LOVE to see again?? The VERY rare "Signal Officers of the Waffen-SS" by John Moore. I had a copy but had to sell it before moving to California about 5 years ago. The only copy I know of for sale is online at $253!!!! Ironically, I think that particual example is the one I sold five years ago... :shock:
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Also just discovered that "For Europe" is being reprinted. I have one of the 500, Helion & Company Ltd are doing the reprint and I quote.

"Helion are pleased to present a heavily revised and expanded edition of this book which privides the definitive account of its subject"

The amount of info in the original is staggering so if it has been expanded it can only be a good thing. Also it means I will probably have to buy the reprint!!!! Its out in October with a UK price of £32.95, all I can say is buy it when you see it.

Other oop books in the pipeline for reprint that I know of from Fedorowicz include as has been mentioned on the forums many times are "Michael Wittmann & the Tiger Commanders of the Leibstandarte, I was also told in an email from Fedorowicz that they are planning reprints of the first 2 volumes of the Leibstandarte history so keep your eyes open.

Stackpole also seem to be reprinting a lot of Fedorowicz books in softback and I believe that Hubert Meyer's history of Hitlerjugend is being reprinted by them shortly I think in 2 volumes but am not sure.

Have to say I like the idea of this thread as there are a few books out there I'm still looking for. But being a bit of a saddo I must admit I like to get hold of first editions but there comes a time when the bank balance cannot take it anymore (or the wife!!!!!!!!).

Martin
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

A lot of the Podzun unit photo books have been reissued, all in SB for about $25 each. Aberdeen Bookstore seems to carry most or all of them.

Mark C. Yerger
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Does anyone know if there are plans to reprint BLACK CROSS, RED STAR, Vol 1? I missed it the first time around and any available copies I have found are in the $150.00 price range.

Thanks.

Regaqrds,

Helmut
Tulane

Reprint Info - Devil's Guard

Post by Tulane »

In regards to reprints, the Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford is available from http://www.hailerpublishing.com. Great book.
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Just to let you all know, the first 3 volumes of the Fedorowicz translations of Lehmann's Leibstandarte history are on ebay at the moment at $149.95 (aboout £85.00). They have the mapbooks with them as well, well worth having a look if you haven't got them and a very good price too. IMHO they are the best books on the Leibstandarte available, maybe a little biased but lets be fair if you were writiing about your own unit you'd be a little biased too!
Casarez
Donor

Re: Reprint Info - Devil's Guard

Post by Casarez »

Tulane wrote:In regards to reprints, the Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford is available from http://www.hailerpublishing.com. Great book.
I will keep my opinions about this book to myself but I will say there is no need to buy it. The entire book is online:

http://members.cox.net/freestuff/Devils ... TRODUCTION
Lexxx
Supporter

Russ Schneider Update

Post by Lexxx »

I am sad to report that negotiations with a publisher to reprint "Demyansk" and "Madness Without End" by Russ Schneider have broken down. According to my source, the publisher is concerned about copyright issues because the works are not footnoted. When asked why a work of fiction needed footnotes, the publisher responded that since both books contained a bibliography, they were under the impression the works were non-fiction. Doh!

Although Russ Schneider passed away several years ago, he continues to have a loyal following on this forum. His books contain some the best fictional stories ever written about the Eastern Front. If any of you know any publishers who might be interested in keeping his older works in print, I'm sure Russ' family and friends would be interested. I also know their are some previously unpublished works that could be included in a new anthology.
Lexxx
Supporter

Hell's Gate

Post by Lexxx »

Hell's Gate by Doug Nash is now available at http://www.rzm.com for $58.50.
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Maybe usefull to some of you:

Vlaanderen in uniform 1,2,3 and 4 are reprinted, 30 euro's a piece.

Alex
Oxford

Post by Oxford »

I wish some publishing company would reprint Alexander Dallin's German Rule in Russiua, 1941-1944.

On ABEBooks.com, used copies are selling for US$200 plus.
genstab
Contributor

Mediterranean and Middle East

Post by genstab »

If anyone's looking for the History of the Second World War (UK MIlitary Series) "Mediterranean and Middle East", Volume VI (3 parts) which is really pricey, Naval and Military Press has reprinted it in trade paperback for a lot less than you'd have to pay for the out of print hardcover edition (no foldout maps or photos though). Check their website for prices; I believe I paid about $122 US including shipping for all three parts.
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.
statemachine
Contributor

Re: Mediterranean and Middle East

Post by statemachine »

genstab wrote:If anyone's looking for the History of the Second World War (UK MIlitary Series) "Mediterranean and Middle East", Volume VI (3 parts) which is really pricey, Naval and Military Press has reprinted it in trade paperback for a lot less than you'd have to pay for the out of print hardcover edition (no foldout maps or photos though). Check their website for prices; I believe I paid about $122 US including shipping for all three parts.
Hello genstab,by chance is there any mention of that secretive Italian unit that got ambushed in Jerusalem early 40's?Saw reference to it once.Someone I knew was there.Very little known.
An unbreakable man