OCR

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Maus
Supporter

OCR

Post by Maus »

Hello Gentlemen,

I am curious if anyone has used OCR software to "copy" pages of German text (from the German microfilm rolls) into microsoft word (or any other word processor program)? I have used the free OCR software programes on the internet, and they seem to work "ok" at best. I have even picked out pages of from the microfilm rolls that were quite clear, but the free OCR software from the net doesn't do the greatest job. I am curious if it would be worth spending money on OCR software? I am assuming the OCR software that one has to purchase would be of much better quality than the free ones on the net? Thanks in advance for any assitance.

Regards,

Brian B.
Herr Winkeler
Contributor

Re: OCR

Post by Herr Winkeler »

yep am also looking for the best OCR software and i didn't found it yet not even the free ones.

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, ...) during WWII is welcome.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I have tried several programs (Adobe Acrobat, etc) for text capture and even in English I have yet to get better than 80-90% correct on a decent document. I someday hope the technology will improve.

Mad Dog
Maus
Supporter

Post by Maus »

I purchased Omnipage 18 a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to use it, but when I do, I will let you both know how it works. I am guessing it will probably be around 90% accurate, which is as good as it can be right now.

Brian