Jagdkommando and Stosstruppunternehmen

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ghost
Supporter

Jagdkommando and Stosstruppunternehmen

Post by ghost »

Hi

can anyone proivde an accuate translation for:

Jadgkommando and

Stosstruppunternehmen

Mike Melnyk
vkun
Supporter

Re: Jagdkommando and Stosstruppunternehmen

Post by vkun »

1. Stosstruppunternehmen = raid

2. Jagdkommando: this is difficult as I know of no accurate translation for it. A Jagdkommando is a small force, i.e. platoon level, that is responsible for a certain area (not necessarily behind enemy lines) where it hunts enemy troops, for example partisans, paratroopers etc.. Behind enemy lines it may harrass the enemy by raids on supply lines, command posts etc. The Bundeswehr still uses the terms Jagdkommando and Jagdkampf
So it is some kind of "search and destroy" unit. It is not necessarily from a commando outfit (special forces or so), but normally light infantry (paratroopers, mountain troops, Jäger....)
I would try "mobile strike force" ... or better not translate it at all....
ghost
Supporter

Post by ghost »

thanks for that. Let me explain the difficultly. I referred the matter to a former waffen SS officer who himself commanded a Jadgkommando and took part in an Stosstruppunterhmen. despite having a superb command of english he could not provide an accurate description for either word.

I used "Assault Group"

and "Operations"

but neither of these are really accurate. I was hoping to nail them done by the most common translation in popular useage.

best wishes

Mike
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello Mike and vkun !

According to the Jagdkommando :
I wasn't aware that the Bundeswehr is still training this kind of warfare ! (Thanks to vkun for the excellent infos)
I think during WWII at the eastern front, this units were initially formed for anti-partisan warfare.
Whether they were used later for other tasks as well, ist still unclear to me. Maybe you have a look here :
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=31119
I think the mobile strike-force/task-force translation is accurate, or (as suggested !) no translation at all.

According to the term Stosstrupp :
I think this can be better described as an "ad hoc" unit, typically squad- or platoon-sized, seldom larger.
Such a shorttime unit would be formed just for one special purpose : typically to infiltrate the enemy lines to
take some prisoners for interrogation, or e.g. to destroy a fortified emplacement of a MG or gun,
causing havoc to the own lines. After fulfilling it's task, the "Stosstrupp" would immediately withdraw.

A possible translation of Stosstrupp could be : "combat-patrol", but I'm not sure on this.
I hope this helps somehow :D .

Best regards,
hero.