Nachrichten Report Question

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Maus
Supporter

Nachrichten Report Question

Post by Maus »

Gentlemen,

We have hit another tough translation in one of our reports. The page in question is from the Winter Combat Experiences report of the Nachricthen Abteilung of the 58. Inf. Div. We are having difficulty translating the term "erden" as it relates to the Signals/Communication unit. Here is the a link to the report:

http://wehrmachtbericht.com/page32.php

The 3rd paragraph is the one that contains the term "erden", and that is the paragraph that we need translated (or we would even just take the term "erden" translated as it is used in each sentence). The 3rd paragraph starts out as "Ausbau und Benutzung...."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Brian Burmeister
vkun
Supporter

Re: Nachrichten Report Question

Post by vkun »

"erden" is a technical term of the signal troops, normally used as a verb. Here it is used as a noun, which is quite strange. The translation should be "to earth" or "to ground" the antenna by sticking a metal point into the ground and connect it with the antenna (or something similar - I am no expert on that). "Die Erde" (singular) or "Die Erden" (plural) seems to relate to the whole device described above. The paragraph deals with the experiences and difficulties when grounding antennas or other signal equipment in frozen earth. The whole paragraph is very "technical" so I think you need a signal expert to get the correct english expressions.

hope that helps
Maus
Supporter

Re: Nachrichten Report Question

Post by Maus »

Thanks Vkun. I was also thinking that in this case the definition of Erden meant "grounded". That is what we shall go with. Thanks!

Brian