Research Info

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

kevindunne

Research Info

Post by kevindunne »

My friend has the following information on her father, whom she never met. The info comes from a letter from his commanding officer. Since the phone system was still working, he called his wife the night before the attack and told her he would not be coming back from this mission..after serving the entire war on the Russian front, he was killed in Feb. 1945.
The info is as follows: Capt. Friederich Merx was killed leading his battalion on 8 Feb, 1945 during the battle in Oderbruckenkopf in New-Levin near Wriegen. He is buried in a cemetery near New Madenitz.
It is signed by Hans Gusch, Kdo. Regt 301.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to trvel to said cemetery in the near future.
Thank you,
Kevin W. Dunne
Col. USA (ret.)
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Research Info

Post by John P. Moore »

The Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V.
reports the following information -

http://www.volksbund.de/index.php?id=17 ... 88f87f8918

Friedrich Merx
Friedrich Merx ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Bad Freienwalde/Oder-Neukietz.
Endgrablage: Reihe 1
Nähere Informationen zu diesem Friedhof erhalten Sie hier.
Name und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten sind auch im Gedenkbuch der Kriegsgräberstätte
verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen.
Nachname:
Merx
Vorname:
Friedrich
Dienstgrad:
Hauptmann
Geburtsdatum:
Geburtsort:
Großwerther
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
Todes-/Vermisstenort:
nicht verzeichnet

I hope that you have a pleasant trip to the cemetery. I have been to a number of miltary cemerties in Germany and they are not typically maintained to the same standard that one encounters at VDK cemeteries France and Belgium.

John