Meetings with „Wiking” Division Veterans

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Meetings with „Wiking” Division Veterans

Post by John P. Moore »

Here is a February 1977 letter from former SS-Standartenführer Ernst Kemper to Standartenführer Adolf Weiß. Weiß commanded the Nachrichten Abteilung SS-VT from March 1937 to the end of March 1942. After that he became an infantry unit commander where he commanded SS-Panzergrenadier Rgt. 22 in the "Frundsberg" and in early 1944 the SS-Panzergrenadier Rgt. 36 of the RFSS Div. In this letter Kemper discusses the progress of Fritz Schütter's book project. Weiß ended up writing the Foreword for the book after Brigadeführer Wilhelm Keilhaus died in January 1977 before completing it.
Kemper---Weiß--Feb-1977.jpg
Kemper---Weiß--Feb-1977.jpg (108.83 KiB) Viewed 10114 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

In this March 1978 letter from Adolf Weiß to Ernst Kemper it is interesting to see where he mentions "Der Mikro - Prozessor" (micro-processor) and noting that this older gentlemen is keeping abreast of developing technology. Weiß also writes of his problems with cancer. He died seven months later in October 1978.
Weiß-Kemper-March-1978.jpg
Weiß-Kemper-March-1978.jpg (139.2 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

A couple of comments -

- the use of "Bobby" as a nickname. It is interesting that the German WW2 generation had the fashion of using English nicknames. Doubly interesting in light of the relatively forgotten fact that of all their opponents in WW2, the English may well have been the most hated. Hated, I think, because they were seen as interfering in continental affairs and blocking Germany from enjoying what they had - a worldwide empire. Speaking as an American, the US view of WW2 is heavily shaped by the British viewpoint and this German hatred of the Brits has been swept under the rug to a large degree. One hears more about the chivalry between the two.

The usage of English nicknames screwed me up for a while in my Lauchert letter translations. The letters, written in Suetterlin, contained many references to a person named "Bill" which seemed like I must have been reading it wrong. Later, I found out that his adjutant was a Wilhelm Esser - whose nickname was indeed Bill.

- The Weiss letter has interesting comments about how quickly disease can take someone down. I knew Otto Guensche who was built like an oak tree. It was a shock when he went down without warning.

- Weiss talks of the micro-processor as presenting new problems for mankind. Interesting that he would automatically think of technological progress in terms of problems, whereas I'm sure most of us see it more as a miracle - just thinking of the computer's effect on medical reearch alone! That negative attitude seems to still be current in Germany when one considers their reaction to genetic manipulation and nuclear power. Maybe it is partly because Germany suffered technological defeat in WW2.
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Having written to and met many Germans veterans , attended veterans meetings and become very close friends with some of them and their families i have never come across "hate" from any of them, even though they know i am an ex soldier of their most " hated " enemies.

"" Doubly interesting in light of the relatively forgotten fact that of all their opponents in WW2, the English may well have been the most hated. Hated, I think, because they were seen as interfering in continental affairs and blocking Germany from enjoying what they had - a worldwide empire. Speaking as an American, the US view of WW2 is heavily shaped by the British viewpoint and this German hatred of the Brits has been swept under the rug to a large degree. One hears more about the chivalry between the two. ""

On what "facts" do you base any of the above comments ?? This " hatred" has been swept under the rug by whom ??

Perhaps one hears more about chivalry because generally that was the case !!

regards

Paul
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Let's keep discussions of hatred out of this topic. There is a history of hate between many European countries and if people want to discuss that, please start a thread on the subject somewhere else. Thanks.
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Totally agree John and my apologies for going off topic , the word used is a very strong one and it is not one i would really want to get into any sort of discussion about, however it was something i felt i had to challenge via my own experiences as i was somewhat taken aback by Fred's comments particulary in this excellent topic.

Apologies again, regards

Paul
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

No problem Paul, however, I believe that it would still be a good discussion to have, but on a different thread as I'm sure that some of our French members might have something to say about the British. :wink:
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning the fact that the German soldier sometimes hated his enemies - and vice versa. But if we want to keep it on the nice nice, how about any comments on the German use of English nicknames among the WW2 generation. No one else has noticed that?
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Below is “Wiking” sleeve band with an interesting story about how it came to be in our possession. In October 1996 my youngest son and I traveled to Germany to attend a couple of SS veteran reunions and meet with some other vet friends in their homes. One vet that we visited was the former SS-Obersturmbannführer. Hans Bünning in Nürnberg, who had earlier been a signal officer in the LAH prior to converting to artillery. He ended the war as commander of the SS-Panzerartillerie Regiment 5 “Wiking” and was a holder of the German Cross in Gold. Near the end of our visit Bünning disappeared and came back to the kitchen a short time later with a knife in one hand and the attached Armelstreifen in the other hand that he said he had just cut off one of his uniforms. He gave it to my son along with a Wiking runic division sticker. The Armelstreifen disappeared for many years and about a year ago I found it in the envelope that Bünning had given him underneath a drawer in my son’s old night stand that I was about to donate to charity!

John
P1010075.jpg
P1010075.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 9858 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

A photo of Hans Bünning and my son Ian during the visit.
Bünning,-Hans-&-Ian-Moore.jpg
Bünning,-Hans-&-Ian-Moore.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 9906 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

A photo from 1945 in Hungary with Bünning on the left. Next to him is the division commander Karl Ullrich and the fellow with his back turned is SS-Obergruppenführer Herbert Gille, commander of the IV.SS-Panzer Korps.

I was visiting with Hans Bünning in 1996 to go over some lists of “Wiking” division officers to confirm or add to the information that I already had for my “Führerliste de Waffen-SS” publication. Although Bünning had been an artillery officer he had an active role in the division’s vet association and knew quite a bit about a lot of people. Looking at the names on the list brought back a lot of memories and which he related to my son and I. Sadly, Hans Bünning died from a heart attack a month after our visit and I never got to see him again.
Bünning,-Hans----1945.jpg
Bünning,-Hans----1945.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

A post-war photo of Hans Bünning. Miniatures of his wartime medals can be seen on his lapel.
Bünning,-Hans---3.jpg
Bünning,-Hans---3.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 9902 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Hans Bünning in December 1943
Bünning,-Hans---Dec-1943.jpg
Bünning,-Hans---Dec-1943.jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 9888 times
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

A photo of Hans Bünning from 1935. He had been a former member of the SA and wears the medal for the 1931 Braunschweig Treffen on his pocket.
Bünning,-Hans---1935.jpg
Bünning,-Hans---1935.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 9888 times
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Nice additions!