Erich von Manstein - Expulsion of Jews from Wehrmacht

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Mike G.

Erich von Manstein - Expulsion of Jews from Wehrmacht

Post by Mike G. »

I've read in several sources and also heard mentioned that von Manstein protested the expulsion of Jews from the armed services in the mid-1930's and formally objected to several members of his staff having to resign their commisions. However, I have thus far been unable to corroborate this claim with any written primary documents or reliable sources - would anyone have any further information regarding this incident?

Have read some conflicting info about Manstein . . . apart from the above incident, his staff officer who was of Jewish descent, Alexander Stahlberg, wrote very highly of him in his memoirs, Bounden Duty (Orginal German: "Die Verdammte Pflicht.") Stahlberg allegedly informed Manstein of his Jewish background and the Field Marshall kept him as his chief staff officer, promoted him, and professed sympathy with the persecution of Jews in Germany and the occupied territories.
Yet . . . Manstein put his signature on several official army orders which extolled the virtues of the German struggle against "Jewish-Bolschevism," the superiority of the Aryan race, etc.

Any accurate info would be appreciated, as always - thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mike G.
Onlooker

Post by Onlooker »

I might be completely misinformed, but was Manstein not convicted of war crimes and served time. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he supported the savage treatment of local people in the Barbarossa campaign, and witnessed Jews being dragged behind vehicles.

If true, his humane and decent treatment of staff with Jewish ancestry shows how confusing the Nazi era is. I wonder if anyone will ever really understand the mindset of the people who lived through it.
Sonntag
Supporter

Post by Sonntag »

As far as I know Von Manstein was Anti-Jewish/Bolshevik. I know he was convicted of war crimes of various levels and that he was qouted as saying "the Jewish Bolshevik system be wiped out once and for all". He also requested that officers not be present during the excecution of Jews.

That said, it doesn't seem likely he protested the exclusion of Jews from the Armed forces.
Peters66

vo Mannstein

Post by Peters66 »

Erich von Mannstein was a brilliant and optimistic General. He was, for the most part, morally upstanding. However, he made an effort to insulate himself from all that "ugliness" happening behind the lines...he didn't approve of it; but instead decided to focus his efforts entirely on military action. In short, a convenient defense mechanism for blocking out the ugly and harsh realities of the regime he swore to defend. He was convicted of war crimes and spent a few years in prison; however, he was let out in 1953 after much pleading from none other than Winston Churchill! Go figure...
Piett

Post by Piett »

In his book "Die Wehrmacht - Feindbilder Vernichtungskrieg Legenden" Wolfram Witte writes that Manstein himself (his original name was Lewinski) had a jewish ancestor named Lewi and that maybe that was a reason for his protest against the expulsion of jews from the Wehrmacht but it's not that Manstein ask for tolerance or protested the nazi racism. His point was that any kind of government shouldnt interefere in the exclusive businesses of the officer's corps and that the comradeship between soldiers would suffer from investigations about who is jewish and who is not and that the idea that the army should punish innocent comrades for politcal reasons doesnt fit with the spirit of the prussian military traditions.

He (Witte) also writes that general field marshall Erhard Milch also had jewish ancestors which lead to Göring's famous "I'm the one who decides who is jewish".
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hi Piett,

why do you think Lewinski is coming from Lewi ?
The Lewinskis where a Prussian family wich lived and served for Prussia and later the German Empire since generations.

The origin of the familyname Lewinski had absolute nathing to do with Lewi oder Levi or something like that.

To come back to he protest Manstein did because some jewish officers he personaly knew. It's true he did made an official protest and sent notes to dieffrent high millitay leaders but he didn't do it because of a special intrest for the jews at all but only because he knew those officers and he thought that it would be a shame to lose such patriotic germans only because they were jews.

Bye Enrico Mölders
Germany
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
Piett

Post by Piett »

Enrico Mölders wrote:Hi Piett,

why do you think Lewinski is coming from Lewi ?
The Lewinskis where a Prussian family wich lived and served for Prussia and later the German Empire since generations.
I didnt say that I think that I wrote that I read that in the book I mentioned.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Perhaps the name-change came about because "Lewinski" sounds Polish? I think I've read somewhere that Prussians have a deep-seated prejudice against Poles.

Just a suggestion.

Yours,
Paul
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Paul_9686 wrote:Perhaps the name-change came about because "Lewinski" sounds Polish? I think I've read somewhere that Prussians have a deep-seated prejudice against Poles.

Just a suggestion.

Yours,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Erich von Lewinski was born on November 24th of 1887 in Berlin and was the tenth child of West Prussian aristocrat and an artillery general - Eduard von Lewinski.

Because the sister of his real mother had no childrens the Lewiskis and the Mansteins agreed that if the tenth child will be a boy the 'von Manstein' will get this child and so they adopted him quite after his birth.

Thats all not more and not less why he was born as the son of Eduard Lewinski and grow up as Erich von Manstein.

Intresting is, that many historic sources wrote that he was adopted after the death of his real parents but thats nonsens because he was adopted after his birth.

You can read about it in 'Verlorene Siege' by Erich von Manstein

bye Enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Enrico.

Yours,
Paul
julian
Supporter

Re: Erich von Manstein - Expulsion of Jews from Wehrmacht

Post by julian »

Is mentioned on pp 209-210 of Mansteins book 'Aus einem Soldatenleben'. There was a lieutenant who had served under him that was touched by the measure. Manstein wrote a letter to von Reichenau protesting the measure because these soldiers had committed to serve Germany. The measure was not repealed but Manstein found another way to protect thel lieutenant .