O.E. Remer and his command of the FBB/FBD

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

krichter33
Enthusiast

O.E. Remer and his command of the FBB/FBD

Post by krichter33 »

I have read numerous times in various sources (nothing primary, mostly second-hand) that Otto Ernst Remer, though an excellent and successful SPW Battalion commander was not a capable brigade/division commander. I have finished reading Spaeter's excellent three volume history of Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland, and other than on the first day of FBB's attack in front of St. Vith in the Ardennes, Remer doesn't come off as being overly incompetent. Through their battle in Pomerania, and especially in Upper Silesia, the FBD seems to have performed decently. What this says of Remer's command I don't really know. However I was just curious if anyone had any relevant information concerning his performance as a brigade/division commander. If, for example, anyone has read the biography of Remer by Ralph Tegethoff, perhaps you can inform me of what is said in that book. Thank you very much for your help.
Klaus Richter
krichter33
Enthusiast

Re: O.E. Remer and his command of the FBB/FBD

Post by krichter33 »

...I'm "bumping" this thread especially after reading Bergstrom's Ardennes book. Remer and the FBB seemed to have performed extremely well in the Ardennes. They seem to be one of the better of the German armored forces, especially in the defense!!! This comes as a surprise considering what one reads about Remer....so the question asked in the previous post still stands???
Klaus Richter