Oberst Petri

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

ScaleyAlbereto

Oberst Petri

Post by ScaleyAlbereto »

Folks,

I have recently walked the Hexen Stieg trail through the Harz mountains and came across a monument to an Oberst Petri, it was at the bottom of the Brocken, I have a photo but don't know how post it on here.

I managed to google translate that he was executed by his own side towards the end of he war, anyone know why?

Also a cross by the monument for a Ricard Goedbecke. Any ideas?
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Oberst Petri

Post by fridgeman »

On 9th april, Oberst Gustav Petri arrived with other retreating troops in Werningerode,
and established a HQ in one of the town buildings. His first orders were to stop
retreating soldiers, and to gather them and return them to the 11th army.

Between 9th and 10th april 1945 Oberst Gustav Petri established communications with
his supervisor, Oberst Linemann, who declared Oberst Petri to the "Kampfkommandant"
(Combat commander) of Werningerode, with the order to defend the town from advancing
US troops at any cost.

During the night of 10th april 1945, the major of the town tried to convince Petri not to
defend the city, because it would cause many deaths and maybe the destruction of the town.
Petri agreed to hand over the town to US troops the next morning.

On 11th april, soldiers of the "Wachzug" of 11th army, sentenced Oberst Petri to death because
he had agreed to hand over the town without fight, and he was shot immediately.

When the first advancing US troops came close to the town later on 11th april, other soldiers and officers
followed petris order and did not fight the advancing US troops. Instead 2 soldiers, the town priest
and some civilans showed a white flag and ran towards the US soldiers to hand over the city.
Thanks to this, only a few shells were shot and the city was handed over.

Picture of Oberst Petri

Btw Richard Gödecke is a mountain climber, author, ecologist, green politician, in short an alpine enthusiast.
ScaleyAlbereto

Re: Oberst Petri

Post by ScaleyAlbereto »

Many thanks.