hello, got a question about otto carius.

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

rusted180

hello, got a question about otto carius.

Post by rusted180 »

i have been a long time viewer of this site, and i just love all the info i am learning here! i am new member, so i thought this would be a good starting point to introduce myself.

i recently finished reading OTTo carius' TIGERS IN THE MUD. this book was awesome! better than soldat which i read few years back. ever since i was a kid, the tiger 1 has always been my favorite tank. His war stories are truley amazing and really gives you an insight into the experience of tank warfare!

i have so many questions i want to ask him but mostly i wish to compliment him on his bravery and accomplishments. yes. yes. i know i sound like a fan boy, but i dont care! I think he's awesome!

is there anyone here who can point the right direction in getting contact with him? from what i gathered, he appreciates fan mail... or am i wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated!
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: hello, got a question about otto carius.

Post by fridgeman »

Nice you are so interested about him, but watch out not heroise people. Im sure he never saw himself as Übersoldat or Hero.
Gladly Otto Carius is still in a well shape for his age. He became apothecary after the war,
and since then he works in the same pharmacy. Their webpage says he still helps out in the shop, with 88 years of age,
which i find really amazing! Until february 2011 he even worked full time, since then only part time.

Unfortunarely the page also says, that due to Otto Carius age he will not answer
questions about the war or other letters retaled to war issues anymore.
I can absolutely understand this, he had a long and sure not always easy life.
I hope he will go on pension healthy, and enjoy his high age as good as possible.

This picture from the pharmacies wegpage shows Herrn Otto Carius in his shop.
And really, he never lost his fate in Tiger, as he even named his drug store "Tiger Apotheke" ;)