Invasion of Poland, RK personalities

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Mansal D

Invasion of Poland, RK personalities

Post by Mansal D »

Hello all,

I'm doing a bit of research on the German invasion of Poland in 1939 and I had a couple questions. Perhaps someone will be able to help me.

Of the Knights cross recipients of the Polish campaign only three were junior officers. One was Günther Prien who was a U-boat commander and at this moment does not interest me further.

The two others who do interest me are Oberleutnant Dietrich Steinhardt and Leutnant Josef Stolz. They are both from the Infanterie-Regiment 51 of the 18. Infanterie-Division.

I am not sure if it was a propaganda stunt or what, but does anyone have any information regarding the actions which earned these two men the knights cross? Following is a bit more detailed information.

Sources: Axishistory Factbook on the 18.Inf.Div and Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Steinhardt was KIA on 15 Apr 1942 at Mihalkino/River Lovat/Soviet Union in position of Kdr. III./IR 51 (mot) ; Stolz was KIA in the early days of "Barbarossa" on 27 June 1941 at Baranje, west of Zmorgon/SU in position of Chef 2./Kradschtz.Btl. 38.
On September 26th the 1., 2., and 10. Kompanies of the Infanterie-Regiment 51 took the Fort Wawrzyzwew located at the west edge of Warsaw. Oberleutnant Dietrich Steinhardt (Kompanie 2 commander) and Leutnant Josef Stolz (Kompanie 10 commander) were awarded the Ritterkreuz for their actions in taking the fort.
Thanks in advance,
Mansal
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Invasion of Poland, RK personalities

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Mansal!

Follow the link and scroll down to Christoph Awender's post on Steinhardt and Stolz for some information on these early RKT...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6404&start=0

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Mansal D

Re: Invasion of Poland, RK personalities

Post by Mansal D »

Krollspell,

Much appreciated - that is excellent!

Best regards,
Mansal