WWII Medal identification and details

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dunsu

WWII Medal identification and details

Post by Dunsu »

Hello,

My partner and I are researching her grandfathers (both) WWII military history and would request any advice on how this can be best achieved. As part of this process - one of the grandfather's medals are still with the family.

The attached picture contains a picture of a number of medals. I can identify the EKII and know a little about its background and rationale for issue. The others I am unsure about and would appreciate any clues.

Thank you

Duncan Schultz
Attachments
Please help identify and provide details on the medals
Please help identify and provide details on the medals
IMG_0380.jpg (370.98 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: WWII Medal identification and details

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Dunsu wrote:Hello,

My partner and I are researching her grandfathers (both) WWII military history and would request any advice on how this can be best achieved. As part of this process - one of the grandfather's medals are still with the family.

The attached picture contains a picture of a number of medals. I can identify the EKII and know a little about its background and rationale for issue. The others I am unsure about and would appreciate any clues.

Thank you

Duncan Schultz
The best way to start is to fill out a online request at the Deutsche Dienstelle (WASt) in Berlin.

It will take a while to get an answer (5-8 month's) but in most cases it will be worth the wait!

From left to right:

- Eisernes Kreuz 2e Klasse - Iron Cross Iron Cross (2nd Class) - for more click here.
- Verwundeten-Abzeichen in Schwarz - Wound Badge in Black - for more info click here.
- Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber - Infantry Assault Badge in Silver - for more info click here.
- Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern - War Merit Cross (2nd Class) with Swords - for more info click here.
- Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42 - Eastern Front Medal - for more info click here.

Below the "Bandschnalle" Ribbon Bar
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Nice pieces! All according to the 1957 Law, without the swastika. Good to read they all stay in the family, by the way.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Dunsu

Post by Dunsu »

Thank you so much for your assistance! Really appreciated. My intent is to frame them with a Bio, photo etc.

Duncan
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

:up: Sounds good! My grandfather received an Infanterie Sturmabzeichen and a Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz. I did buy those pieces (WW II, denazified and 1957 versions) and framed them in two boxes. I must say, it sure looks good.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.