RKT Günther Rall passed away on Oct 04

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

RoterBaron

RKT Günther Rall passed away on Oct 04

Post by RoterBaron »

Hi all,

I have not found a post here so I thought I'd spread the sad news: On Oct 4, 2009, Lt Gen Günther Rall, Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords, highest-scoring living ace (275 victories) passed away at his home in Bavaria after suffering a heart attack two days earlier.

I was fortunate enough to spend some hours with him almost two years ago and was amazed at his energy, his quick mind, and his willingness to talk about all aspects of his long and eventful life. At the same time I was struck by his humbleness (if that's the right word). He surely never made a fuss about his achievements.

This is a big loss for his family and friends and for all of those who wanted to listen to what he had to say about the hell of war. Read his autobiography, which I can highly recommend.

May he rest in peace!
RoterBaron
John W. Howard

Re: RKT Günther Rall passed away on Oct 04

Post by John W. Howard »

I am very sorry to hear this news. He was an excellent pilot and by all accounts a decent man. I always enjoyed seeing him interviewed. God bless him!!
John W. Howard
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

R.I.P. :(
Klaus Richter
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I was doing a Google search for something else and stumbled upon the obituary for LtGen Rall. Very sorry at his passing, but at least he led a vibrant and most productive life in his later years. I sure hope I'm as intellectually sharp as he was if I reach age 91!! I'm certainly not an expert, but he's was probably one of the last living Swords & Diamonds holders, was he not?
DennisH
CAPT (0-6), USN (Ret)
"Beware the Fanatic"
HOS Bandit

Post by HOS Bandit »

May he Rest In Peace. He is taking his last flight.. :beer:
Za Dom Spremni