Leo Hartmann, RK winner

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Leo Hartmann, RK winner

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Does anyone know if Leutnant Leo Hartmann who earned the Ritterkreuz for being rather adept at destroying Soviet armour in Festung Breslau won his medal for a specific action or for a series of actions?

I thought he might have been the last RK winner of the war... but a cursory check of the web reveals they were still handing them out on May 8 and 9 1945. :shock:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: Leo Hartmann, RK winner

Post by Alex Dekker »

Where's Doctor Krollspell? :D
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
pak
Supporter

Post by pak »

Richard, it might not be what you are looking for, but I found this from the late Ron Klages in another discussion on this forum(here):
Ron Klages wrote: ....
On 18 April 1945 the remaining 3 StuG IIIs of Leo Hartmann ambushed the Russians destroying 25 Soviet tanks and assault guns and forcing others to witdraw. Hartmann alone accounted for 13 of the Soviet tanks. On 30 April 1945 Hartmann received the Ritterkreutz for his actions in the Breslau defense.

Source for this information comes from the book Siege by Patrick McTaggart.

Best regards,

Ron Klages
/pak
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi Pak,

That sort of confirms my own thoughts. I've just finished translating Hartmann's account of that action. Hair-raising doesn't even begin to describe it. :shock:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!
pak wrote:Ron Klages wrote:....
On 18 April 1945 the remaining 3 StuG IIIs of Leo Hartmann ambushed the Russians destroying 25 Soviet tanks and assault guns and forcing others to witdraw. Hartmann alone accounted for 13 of the Soviet tanks. On 30 April 1945 Hartmann received the Ritterkreutz for his actions in the Breslau defense.

Source for this information comes from the book Siege by Patrick McTaggart.

Best regards,

Ron Klages
Richard Hargreaves wrote:Hair-raising doesn't even begin to describe it. :shock:
Hair-raising indeed, considering the kind of tanks that the Red Army had available in the Winter and Spring of 1945. To achieve success as Leutnant Hartmann did using Stug IIIs, even if it was in an urban environment, is really astonishing.

lexiebabe wrote:Where's Doctor Krollspell? :D
I'm right here Alex! :D Even if I have been on a semi-leave from Feldgrau for the last 6-9 months... :shock: But I'm back! 8)
When it comes to Leutnant Hartmann, my own very insignificant contribution was made on an older thread that Pak made a link to...
I'm really looking forward to more information on Hartmann and on the Battle for Breslau in general!

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

:D The Docter is back! :up:
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.