Michael Wittmann's Death

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Silberwrappen

Michael Wittmann's Death

Post by Silberwrappen »

Hey guys I recently watched a documentry on the death of Michael Wittmann that was very well done. I'm not sure if it has only aired in Canada but that may be the case. There has been much debate how Wittmann was killed and this documentry looks at all the possibilites and comes to the conclusion that it was Canadian tanks. The documentry is called Battlefield Mysteries: Who Killed Michael Wittmann ?

Please watch and comment

http://www.viddler.com/explore/someguy/videos/50/
"History is always written by the victor, and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there."
Silberwrappen

Re: Michael Wittmann's Death

Post by Silberwrappen »

Sorry but it looks like the video has been deleted. I will keep a watch for it and post the new link if I find it.
"History is always written by the victor, and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there."
jimbo1889

Post by jimbo1889 »

I was saddened to watch this programme. The computer effects were something amazing. the author/historian is anti british, the frenchman was also not endearing to the british. If i left a MUG with my name in hieroglyphics inside a pyramid, it wouldn't mean i had built it, just that at some point i had been there.
The historian had an agenda, woven around very little fact. prior to becoming a mate of Joe Ekins, i knew most of the events of that morning at st. aignan., 8th August 1944.
I do believe the canadians engaged a german counter attack to Operation totalise, there is no doubt.
I do believe it was the counter attack some time after Wittmann was urged by Meyer to head off and attack our allied forces with the tigers immediately available. He was back up to a newly promoted officer and was in the line of three tigers, however, which one i truly believe will never be known as fact.
Five tigers moved off, three on one side of the road were stopped by the northamptons, two, out of sight and on the other side of the road couldn't be seen/engaged.
what knocked out one of the tigers in front of the sherbrookes ?
If the sherbrookes were there during the first probe, why didn't they engage wittmanns three tigers on that side of the road.
why did one tiger go through the canadian positions, unscathed and not attacked to be abandoned in perfect running order.
why no canadian claim for all these years.
if the shot was through the top of the engine covers (?), the northants were on the high ground looking down on the germans.
Joe Ekins is a true gentleman and has claimed nothing, History proves it was his shots that took out the amazing Wittmann and two other tigers.
God bless Canada and its losses in ww2, especially the sacrificial assault on Dieppe, god bless.
The historian is a man with an agenda, next episode, how a canadian spitfire pilot won the battle of malta.
my father was sunk on h.m.s cairo releiving Malta on operation Pedestal.
Silberwrappen

Post by Silberwrappen »

Here is the link to the show regarding Wittmanns death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqdUafuK ... A&index=95

The youtube video is called Michael Wittmanns Last Battle

Joe Ekins says "that anyone who comes into someone elses country to kill is a criminal" I much respect Joe Ekins and still do but I really had a problem with that statment. I'm assuming he is refering to German soldiers serving there country just as he was serving his.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

It would seem appropriate to mention the passing of the man responsible for Michael Wittmanns death, Joe Ekins, formerly of the Northants Yeomanry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... Ekins.html

Regards,
Simon
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

That documentary was also shown in the UK where many of us were surprised by the modern Canadian invention of the name "Black Baron" for Wittmann.
Alan