SS-PK Kriegsberichter Merz, July 1944 in Normandy?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Sam Wren

SS-PK Kriegsberichter Merz, July 1944 in Normandy?

Post by Sam Wren »

There is a photograph from the BA which is credited to an SS-PK- Kriegsberichter Merz. The info from the BA gives it a date of 4.7.44. I am trying to verify the date and location. I have found information on a Willi Merz who was with Das Reich apparently in early 44, but I am trying to determine his whereabouts in June-August 44.

The caption says:
Die Schlacht in der Normandie In engen von Hecken und alten Bäumen eingesäumten Hohlwegen treten Grenadiere von "Panthern" unterschützt zum Gegenstoss an. SS-PK-Kriegsberichter Merz 4.7.1944

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
sam
"no hay vida espiritual en este infierno." LFC
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: SS-PK Kriegsberichter Merz, July 1944 in Normandy?

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

The date would not be when the photo was taken, but rather when it was released to the press. The actual date on which it was taken could be anywhere from a week to a month or two earlier. Willi Merz was with the rebuilding Das Reich in the southwest of France in the spring of 1944. KG Weidinger, based around a battalion each from the Deutschland and Der Führer Reg., was the first Das Reich element to go into action in Normandy, ahead of the main body of the division, in mid June.

Based on the date here, Merz probably accompanied KG Weidinger. These look like Heer guys to me, based on the camo pattern and the lack of an arm eagle on the NCO/officer with glasses. KG Weidinger initially fought alongside the Heer 2. Panzer Division, so my guess is that this shows that division. KG Weidinger then fought alongside Panzerlehr, but the Panzergrenadiere of Panzerlehr wore Stug.-type uniforms and these guys appear to have normal tunics. So the photo was likely taken around June 15-25 in the St. Lo area.
Sam Wren

Re: SS-PK Kriegsberichter Merz, July 1944 in Normandy?

Post by Sam Wren »

Marc, sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the info.

sam
"no hay vida espiritual en este infierno." LFC