Executed RKtraeger

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Well , nothing more to add on Jäger that his "soldatische Heimat" was Infanterie-Regiment 8 in Frankfurt/Oder and that he was Kdr. der PzTr. of WK II & XXI in July 1944 , his staff was placed at Kalisch .

Jan-Hendrik
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Here is a picture of Oberst Jäger , source : Lubs' Chronik of IR 5 :

http://i11.tinypic.com/2qi8ei1.jpg

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Thanks Jan-Hendrik, for the additional info and photo on Oberst Jäger! I've "discovered" some more executed RKT related to the July 20 plot... All these men had their military rank and decorations officially removed while standing trial and subsequent executions. The first one is...
Gustav Heistermann von Ziehlberg (December 10, 1898 - February 02, 1945)

Gustav Heistermann von Ziehlberg is married to Anneliese von Tschischewitz, with whom he has four daughters and two sons. In 1944 von Ziehlberg is divisional commander on the eastern front. A few days after the unsuccessful assassination attempt on Hitler, he receives the order to immediately arrest his first general staff officer (Ia) Major Kuhn, and have him brought to Berlin. Kuhn is said to have been involved in obtaining the explosives for the attack of July 20, 1944. Von Ziehlberg informs Kuhn of the accusations and gives him the chance to escape arrest by shooting himself. But instead of committing suicide, Kuhn deserts to the Soviet troops. This results in Ziehlberg’s indictment by the Reich Court Martial. In a first trial he is sentenced to nine months' imprisonment. After proceedings are reopened, he is sentenced to death for “deliberate insubordination against an order in the face of the enemy”. He is executed by firing squad on February 2, 1945 in the Murellenschlucht in Berlin-Spandau.
Heistermann von Ziehlberg

Source qoute and pic: http://www.gdw-berlin.de/bio/ausgabe_mit-e.php?id=135

I will also update the list in my first post on this thread...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And the next RKT related to the July 20 plot that died/was killed...
Fritz Lindemann (April 11, 1894 - September 22, 1944)

Fritz Lindemann fights in the First World War and is a temporary member of the German peace delegation in Versailles in 1919. After 1922 he completes an illegal general staff training course in the Reich Army, and starts training officers himself at the end of the 1920s. He is married to Lina von Friedeburg, with whom he has a daughter and two sons. In the Second World War he fights in Poland, France and the Soviet Union, and increasingly uses his travel opportunities for contact with the military conspirators, some of whom, including Hellmuth Stieff, are among his close friends. After the unsuccessful assassination attempt of July 20, 1944, Fritz Lindemann manages at first to hide with relatives in Dresden. When his involvement in the plot is discovered, he is given shelter in Berlin by Erich and Elisabeth Gloeden, who help persecuted Jews as well. The Gloedens are sentenced to death with other helpers in November 1944. Following a denunciation, the Gestapo arrests Fritz Lindemann on September 3, 1944, seriously injuring him. He dies in hospital shortly after.
Fritz Lindemann

Source for qoute and pic: http://www.gdw-berlin.de/bio/ausgabe_mit-e.php?id=158

Regards,

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And the third RKT that was executed for being involved in the July 20 plot...
Karl Freiherr von Thüngen (June 26, 1893 - October 24, 1944)

Karl Freiherr von Thüngen is inspector of the Selective Service in Berlin in the summer of 1944. On July 20, 1944 the conspirators appoint him as military commander for military district III (Berlin) after they have arrested the previous commander, General von Kortzfleisch. However, Thüngen does not arrive at the Army Command building until evening, too late to prevent the failure of the coup attempt. He revokes the conspirators’ orders and even participates in Kortzfleisch’s interrogation of Hans-Ulrich von Oertzen, which Oertzen finally escapes by committing suicide. Karl Freiherr von Thüngen is arrested by the Gestapo shortly after, and sentenced to death by the People’s Court on October 5, 1944. By order of the Reich Minister of Justice, Otto Thierack, the sentence is carried out by execution by firing squad in Brandenburg-Görden.
Karl Frh. von Thüngen

Source for quote and pic: http://www.gdw-berlin.de/bio/ausgabe_mit-e.php?id=203

Regards,

Krollspell
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Gustav Heistermann von Ziehlberg

is another fellow who served once in IR 5 :wink:

- 1920 as Lt. in IR 5
- 1927 as Oberleutnant in IR 5
- 1939 Major i.G. in Zentralabteilung/GenStabdH-
- 1941/42 Oberst and Kdr. of IR 48
- 5.8.44 RK as GL and Kdr. of 28.JägDiv.

see also on ABR :

http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRM ... USTAV.html

in German Language :

http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.d ... Gustav.htm

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
ssocr

Post by ssocr »

Does the execution of Bruno Brauer by the Greeks in 1947 count?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello ssocr!

This particular thread started with a question about which, and how many Ritterkreuzträger that were executed by their own regime, i e Nazi Germany.

About the Ritterkreuzträger executed after the war by the victorious Allies, this interesting topic needs (and merits) a thread of it's own... Just to ease the reading of posts (making them more focused)! Anyhow, that's my opinion...

With best regards,

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And another one...

Otto Herfurth recieved the RK on 14.09.1942 as an Oberst commanding IR 117.

Ritterkreuzträger Generalmajor Otto Herfurth was executed on 29.09.1944 in Berlin-Plötzensee following the July 20 bomb plot. Herfurth's last command was that of Chef d. Gen. St. stv. III. AK (WK III). Source: Scherzer (2005).

For biographical info and photo: http://www.geocities.com/%7Eorion47/ (=>Heer => Generalmajor =>Herfurth)

Regards,

Krollspell
Simon_G
Supporter

Re: Executed RKtraeger

Post by Simon_G »

Please can anybody tell me was Hermann Fegelein's Hungarian mistress, the Baroness Mary Alison Gerstenberger Miske?

Does anybody know how she escaped execution along with Fegelein?
I understand the Soviets released her in 1955?
Simon_G
Supporter

Re: Executed RKtraeger

Post by Simon_G »

After some digging, I think I can now answer my own question.

Rochus Misch said after the war that Fegelein's so called Hungarian mistress was merely the wife of a Hungarian diplomat, but was probably Scottish. Otto Geunsche said he thought she was Irish, but she spoke several languages fluently.

SS Standartenfuhrer Hoegl who collected Fegelein from his flat said the woman was a tall blonde who slipped out the kitchen window whilst going to prepare Congac drinks for Hoetl and Fegelein at 11pm on 26 April 1945.

Whoever she was she slipped out of the flat and presumably escaped from Berlin?

Interesting point was that Himmler arranged to fly Fegelein back to Berlin from Reichlin on 25 April 1945, departing in darkness at 9pm. It arrived in Berlin in time for Fegelein to attend Hitler's midnight conference but Fegelein went to his own flat in stead. Had Fegelein wished to escape Berlin he had the Ju-52 at his personal disposal so why did he return?

Later at 11pm on Saturday 28 April when Hanna reitsch went to leave with von Greim, she saw the same Ju-52 waiting with it's pilot for Fegelein. Was this himmler's personal Ju-52?

Hitler's pilot Hans Baur saw off Reitsch but made no mention of the Ju-52. Why not?