Heinrich Haape (DKiG), more info?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Alex Dekker
Associate

Heinrich Haape (DKiG), more info?

Post by Alex Dekker »

I'm reading his book Endstation Moskau 1941-1942 (2. Auflage 1998, first edition 1957: Moscow Tramstop, in English). I think Haape has written a fair story about his time at Eastern front. But can anyone provide more info about Haape? I know he did receive the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen, EK I, EK II, Winterschlacht im Osten medal and the Deutsches Kreuz im Gold.

He did survive the war, but when and where did he die?

Alex

(I love info that isn't very usefull! :D )
infanterielandser

Post by infanterielandser »

Alex,

I haven't been able to find anything on him. You could always try contacting the publisher!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Alex!

Here's the only (Heer) Haape that won the German Cross in Gold:

Dr. Heinz Haape, Oberarzt in IR 58 (6. ID). DKiG 16.11.1942.

Source: "Die Träger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold" by Scheibert.

Regards,

Krollspell
Last edited by Doktor Krollspell on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Thatz ze one!

He was born as Heinrich, he was called Heinz too. Thanks Krollspell!

I forgot one thing: He also got the Panzervernichtungsabzeichen.

Alex
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello again Alex!

Maybe you already have this information in your book but here's a AHF link with some further info on Haape, including a picture of the good Doktor...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ight=haape

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Hadn't read that one, thanks! But still, when and where did he die? Did he die at all?

Alex
janamarie

Re: Heinrich Haape (DKiG), more info?

Post by janamarie »

Here is the 66-year-old son of Heinrich Haape answering (my name is Heinz!)
After my father was taken as a prisoner of war to France, he returned to his family in Stuttgart - he had married Martha Arazym, an opera singer in the Stuttgart Opera in 1942 by Proxy in Duisburg while in the Army - and I was born in 1944 in a Bunker in Stuttgart.
He never worked as a doctor again. He became editor of 3 local daily newspapers.
In 1952 he emigrated to Durban, South Africa, where he undertook a number of business projects.
He became ill in 1976 and was flown to Germany for hospital treatment, diagnosed with Kidney Cancer and he died on the operating table on 18th February 1976. In 1954 his second son was born in Durban - Johannes Haape, who lived in Africa for many years before moving to Germany about 20 years ago and founding the Tourism Operator TARUK International GmbH. Johannes has travelled with veterans and sons & daughters and other relatives of veterans of his father's batallion to Russia (Rzechev) where there is a project which was run for many years by Ernst Martin Rhein. Part of this social project includes maintenance of war graves and visits are organised regularly from Germany to this community.
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Heinrich Haape (DKiG), more info?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hello Heinz - many thanks for joining the Forum and for providing extra information on your late father.

You will find that his memoirs are very highly regarded by Feldgrau members - and also highly-sought-after. I am fortunate to possess a copy, but the English translation regularly sells for in excess of £150; the many German editions can be picked up for under 10€.

Are there any plans to republish the English edition? I can think of at least two publishers who'd be interested. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man