Hermann Balck

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut
Patron

Hermann Balck

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I am wrapping up reading SONS OF THE REICH by Michael Reynolds. In it he makes several statements that Hermann Balck was no friend of the Waffen SS and even goes so far as to blame him for instigating the "Cuffband Order" in March of 1945. I have read in several other sources that Balck did no like the Waffen SS but he seemed to like having them under his command. My question is, why did he have such a dislike for the Waffen SS? Was it just a philosophical dislike since they were an organ of the Nazi Party, or was it because of some incident earlier in the war?

Thanks in advance for your help.

regards,
Helmut
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

If I may add something to this - von Mellinthen (panzer battles) was chief of staff to Balck on the OstFront and always speaks well of LAH.

cheers
Reb
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Hello Reb,
You are absolutely right. It's been a long time since I read Mellenthin but I never remember having detected an anti SS tone in his book but I have read several books in which Balck is mentioned as having no love for the Waffen SS. I just wonder what caused that hatred.

Regards,

Helmut
julian
Supporter

Re: Hermann Balck

Post by julian »

The way he tried to shift blame to the waffen ss divisions when Armygroup Balck was broken through in the second half of march 1945 is a black mark on his otherwise distinguished record.