Location of Hill 1008 in the Vosges, near Rochesson

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

dhsass

Location of Hill 1008 in the Vosges, near Rochesson

Post by dhsass »

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I hope this forum is close enough.
I recently acquired a copy of the Kriegtagebuch Kampfgruppe Eschrich. This kampfgruppe, a member of the 11 Panzer Division, was fighting in the Vosges mountains, about 80km north of Belfort in the area near or around Rochesson.
My grandfather, Lt. Saß was killed on October 12, 1944. According to the Kriegstagebuch, his unit was fighting to hold their position on Hill 1008.
Does anybody have access to battle maps of the region that would identify this hill?

Thank you,
Darwin Sass
John W. Howard

Re: Location of Hill 1008 in the Vosges, near Rochesson

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Darwin:
I believe German military maps recorded the height of terrain by meters; thus you would be looking for a hill of that height in the Rochesson area. Finding the military maps you are looking for might be difficult; the US National Archives, or the German Archives would probably have what you are looking for. I have a couple of places I can look for more information. I am very sorry to hear of your grandfather's death; my father fought in that region as well, only on the other side. Fortunately my father came home. I will look and see what I can find. God Bless your Opa and best wishes.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Darwin: I found a Hill 1008 in the Rochesson area. It is 4.5 to 5 Km slightly southeast of Rochesson, and about 800m slightly northwest of La Barre and the D-34 AutoRoute. It either is, or in the region of La Piquante Pierre. The following link will take you to a French website which has good maps: http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil Choose the simple search feature, punch in Rochesson and choose topographic for your map type. I hope this is the correct Hill 1008; it looks like a good place to defend. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Darwin:
Hill 1008 is La Piquante Pierre; if you search for La Piquante Pierre on Google you will find many pictures detailing the terrain in the area. The author A. Harding Ganz has a new book out about the 11PzD, which will probably be of interest to you. I hope this has been some help to you; best wishes.
John W. Howard