NARA Rolls - FTP Server

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

jccalvin
Supporter

Re: NARA Rolls - FTP Server

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

I published R-78 R-639 Palatinate Defense Construction today. The following is the login information for my FTP server. It includes some additional information from the previous post.

Host: jccalvin.ddns.net
Login ID: FTP-User-1
Password: SKNVr8du
Protocol: Plain FTP (insecure)
Port: 21
Passive FTP

Happy Holiday Wishes,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

I have just received and published a document concerning the 86.ID. It was written by survivors of the Division on
the occasion of General der Infanterie Joachim Witthöft's 75th birthday. (23.09.1962)

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

Today I published 698 Russian maps in scale 1:84000 on my FTP server. The maps are in the Miscellaneous or Diverse maps section. I have Russian maps in the scales of 1:25000, 1:50000, and 1:100000 on my web site www.wwii-photos-maps.com. Hopefully these 1:84000 maps will cover some areas missed in the other maps.

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

Today I published T-313 R-369.

Please check the "max connections" setting in your FTP software. The default is usually 2. Please set it for 1. Besides being a problem for my logs it also blocks others who are trying to login. Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

John
Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren »

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your work and for making this available.

I tried downloading from your site for the first time yesterday and after about 1/6th of one roll had downloaded the server disconnected and it would not allow me to log back in to finish. I tried to finish that roll today but after only two jpgs had downloaded it disconnected me again and I was unable to log back on to finish. My experience with FTP sites is very limited so I may be doing something wrong.
"no hay vida espiritual en este infierno." LFC
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Sam -

Welcome to the club. I have attempted to use these FTP server sites off and on for the past 6 years and it is a frustrating, tedious and time-consuming job that more often than not turns out unsatisfactory. Maybe it has something to do with the size of the file, I don't know. Dropbox may be the sole exception in that it seems to work most of the time for downloads whereby the user is transferred to a separate URL instead of trying to do it directly from the FTP server. Perhaps someone here can address this matter so more users can work with this material. In my day 30 to 40 years ago, we either had to buy the NARA rolls, which back then were $15 - $25 each, or borrow them from research libraries through interlibrary loan.

Lorenz
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

I published the following rolls today.

T-78 R-619 Gen.Insp.d.Pz.Truppen
T-175 R-70 Pers.St.RFSS
T-312 R-1203 AOK 2
T-501 R-89 Korueck 559,590 u. 593

On next Tuesday I am scheduled for an upgrade to my Internet connection. It will be upgraded from 60 Mb to 100 Mb. It should help in reducing the download time.

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

I have increased the data transfer by increasing my Internet connection from 60 Mb to 100 Mb. Between this and adding QOS (Quality of Service) the data transfer rate should be improved by about 60%. The individual data transfer rate still depends on the number of people logged on to the server. The cost is not trivial but it really needed to be done. I hope this helps.

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

The following rolls were published today.

T-315 R-293 5.Geb-Div
T-315 R-523 9.ID
T-315 R-526 9.ID

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

The following roll was published today.

T-315 R-1992 298.Jg-Div

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

The following rolls were published today.

T-312 R-1316 AOK 2
T-312 T-1327 AOK 2

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

A Reminder

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

You have to use FTP software to download files from my server. Filezilla or WinSCP are free examples of this kind of software. Both have user manuals and forums to help with their use. They are available on the Internet. The following information is entered into the FTP program. I have added another user ID so we now have User-FTP-1 and User-FTP-2.

Login ID: FTP-User-1 or FTP-User-2
Protocol: Plain FTP
Passive FTP
No TLS over FTP

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

As I am sure many of you know I have been having serious problems with users not being able to login. I have been trouble shooting for more than a week without success. I think I have come up with a temporary fix. The following is the login that works for some of the people.

Login ID: FTP-User-1 or FTP-User-2
Protocol: Plain FTP
Passive FTP
No TLS over FTP

You can now use an alternative Host name: jccalvin-2.ddns.net. The other login info is the same.

I apologize for the problems and I am continuing to work on a permanent resolution.

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

Three weeks ago I installed an upgrade to my IPFire firewall. This runs on a dedicated Linux computer. It turns out that my IPS system "Guardian" is not compatible with the upgrade. I have spent two weeks trying to correct the problem, without success. Two days ago I built another FTP server and have been using that in addition to the old one.

Tomorrow I am installing a new commercial firewall/router Asus AC-3100 at a cost of $300.00. When I am finished I will have a new FTP server and a backup server. I am doing the best I can to correct the problem and to make it much less likely that it will occur again.

Regards,

John
jccalvin
Supporter

Post by jccalvin »

Hi:

Today the primary FTP server (jccalvin.ddns.net) will go down and remain down until a new firewall is up and running, hopefully not more than a few hours. The backup FTP server (jccalvin-2.ddns.net) will go down for a short period of time until the cable modem is back up, hopefully not more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Any of you currently logged in to jccalvin.ddns.net should log out and login to jccalvin-2.ddns.net. I am hoping that the new firewall will be more stable than the last one. That is not a criticism of Ipfire but just my recent experiences.

Regards,

John